Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Updates!!!

Good lawd, it's been a very long time since I've made a post on here. I'm on still almost every single day! I read almost everyone's posts. I just haven't updated in ages! Especially after pics.

Butterfly - Still tail biting majorly. But he's very active and happy in his 2.5 minibow, with a heater and filter. :)

Luna - Amazingly spunky and as adorable as ever in her 1.5 gallon. No filter or heater, but I'm from the south, and it's almost july, sooooo... not a very big issue yet. I am buying her one in a few months!

Dumbo - Healed perfectly well from ich and fin rot after 15 days in QT with 100% daily water changes and rid-ich. :) Loving life in a 3 gallon critter keeper, always has a bubblenest going for me. :) He is tailbiting a little too, but not nearly as bad as Butterfly. :P

Liberty - I don't know what's wrong with him! He's pretty active and still a big sweetheart, eats vigorously. But he always looks skinny and his fins look terrible! Not fin rot, I promise, he's always been like that. But I don't know what to do! But he's in a 3 gallon critter keeper too. :) His 1 year anniversary with me was 2 days ago. :D

New pet addition - Pepper the baby leopard gecko! Who is very happy in a 10 gallon with a UTH, 3 hides, calcium and water dish, and paper towel substrate. Also a lid. :) He's sleeping right now, just shed his skin an hour ago!

Pics of Butterfly, Luna nad Pepper coming after some tank cleaning. :D
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 
ChelseaK

Glad to hear everything is going so well! But I'd like to hear more about your gecko! I've been thinking about getting some sort of reptile, and I'm curious as to the cost, and the care necessary. Any tips?
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh yes, absolutely! I'll help ya out. :) This is alot, so heads up! It's really not that confusing though. :) The cheapest setup that will keep your gecko healthy and happy will be about $80. Count $25 for the tank, $25 for the UTH (under tank heater), $5 for food, $5 for calcium powder and $20ish for the gecko. :) The tank should be at least 10 gallons, and it will need a hood so the gecko doesn't escape. :) The UTH will be under about 1/3 of the tank, and keeps your gecko warm. Hides are pretty cheap and can be homemade, or you can buy nicer ones. :) You will want 3 hides: 1 warm hide (over the UTH), 1 cool hide (opposite side of the tank), and one moist hide (somewhere in the middle, for shedding.) I line my tank with paper towels, because if a gecko injests sand, it can't digest it, and it can die. ;/ So I don't want to risk that. Feeding is easy! Your choice, crickets or mealworms. I prefer mealworms. You keep them in the fridge, and they don't make noise, and they stay alive way longer than crickets. You will need calcium powder so the gecko can get enough calcium for it's bones. :) They can either lick the powder out of a bowl, or you can dust their food with it. Just shake it up! And a water dish is good too. I totally reccomend geckos, because they enjoy being held once they are used to it, and clean up is a breeze. They pick a spot in the tank as their toilet, and that's where their waste stays for their whole life. Imagine if bettas did that! :) Geckos are one of the longest living pet lizards you can get. They can live for 20+ years! :) They're so cute. :D Here are some pics. Mine is only 2 months old. :)
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #4 
ChelseaK

Thanks so much!! Now, the moist part, is this like a dish of water or what do you mean? Tanks are on sale right now!! Maybe I should pick up a 10 gallon just incase... How big do the geckos get> will a 10 gallon be okay for it's whole life?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Moist like... I use a terra cotta pot with an opening, and inside I lined it with wet paper towels, and a few times a day I just spray it to make sure it's nice and moist. :) Woo! Tanks on sale! Yup, 10 gallon is fine for it's whole life, but I think I a might eventually upgrade to a 15 gallon, just to spoil Pepper. :) Gecko's are about 10" from head to tail. :)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #6 
bettafish15

I read up alot of leopard geckos when I was considering buying one, and they also need a multivitamin dusted on their food once a week to keep them healthy. A 10g would be okay for a leopard gecko it's whole life, but it's like keeping a betta in a 1.5g it's whole life, you know? A 20g long is best :) A 10g is usually used just for the leo's childhood.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

I know, I was just reccomending the smaller tank for someone starting out. :) And the multivitamen is included in the calcium powder. :) But thank you! I know, I'd love a 20 long, but it is a very large tank, ya know?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #8 
ChelseaK

Tee hee... I have gecko.
I had a spare 20 gallon tank that I was going to save for another sorority, but I realized there is tons of room in my 55 yet for more girls when I have them....

It's a 20 gallon tall, when I know you recommended long, but this is what I had, and now he has way more climbing room, which he already has been hanging around on the driftwood and vines. His name is Rafael, and he's just a baby. He's way smaller even than yours, bettaluver. He has only hissed at me once so far when I was showing him where his food goes. My boyfriend has a lot of experience with reptiles so he's been helping me a lot and actually told me to get the gecko in the first place!

Thanks for the great idea! I've needed a pet that I can take out of the tank and play with :)
Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #9 
diablo13

Aw, pepper is so cute! I've been thinking about getting one, I was either going to name him geico or Leo :). Do you have an idea as the what color morph he is?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaK View Post
Tee hee... I have gecko.
I had a spare 20 gallon tank that I was going to save for another sorority, but I realized there is tons of room in my 55 yet for more girls when I have them....

It's a 20 gallon tall, when I know you recommended long, but this is what I had, and now he has way more climbing room, which he already has been hanging around on the driftwood and vines. His name is Rafael, and he's just a baby. He's way smaller even than yours, bettaluver. He has only hissed at me once so far when I was showing him where his food goes. My boyfriend has a lot of experience with reptiles so he's been helping me a lot and actually told me to get the gecko in the first place!

Thanks for the great idea! I've needed a pet that I can take out of the tank and play with :)
Wow, awwwww! Really? That's great! Will you pleeeeeease take pics for me, and explain yoru setup? But that sounds good. Sometimes they like to climb a littlle. Yes, mine hissed at me the first day when I took him out of his box, but he'd had a very long, stressful day. From the breeder to petco to me. He'd only arrived at petco that morning! What kinda gecko is it? :D I wanna seeee!