Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 
cerridwencol

Question yucky tank!!!

We've had a small divided freshwater tank for 6 days now, and the first few days, it was fine. Changed the water yesterday because it was cloudy and stinky. Today it was cloudy and stinky again, changed it, but there seems to be little particles in it right after changing. I dumped pretty much all the water and wiped out the nonsense on the sides. I also added some of that tap water filtration stuff.

Is this tank too small for both of them? Should I separate them? Or are they just extra messy fish?
cerridwencol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

What size is it?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #3 
Luimeril

imo, no tank smaller than a five gallon should be divided. it sounds like you're having ammonia issues, which would mean the tank may be too small for your two. what size is the tank? how often, and how much do you feed them?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 
cerridwencol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
What size is it?
It's a 1.5 gallon I believe. Sounds like it might be way too small (this is what happens to newbies at PetSmart)! What if I took the divider out and moved one of them to a separate bowl? They don't need a filtration system, do they?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #5 
cerridwencol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
imo, no tank smaller than a five gallon should be divided. it sounds like you're having ammonia issues, which would mean the tank may be too small for your two. what size is the tank? how often, and how much do you feed them?
I am feeding them twice a day with betta pellets. they seem to have no trouble eating. I won't be able to get an additional bowl until Monday. If I change it tomorrow, will they be okay until then?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #6 
cerridwencol

Or maybe....

I should move one of them to something. I have a Tupperware cake keeper; the top is probably a gallon or so. Maybe that will be a better choice for a day or so. My 11 year old will KILL me if these fish, which are his, die while he's away for the weekend!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #7 
omgitslph

It could just be a bacteria influx in the tank. My 1 gal always has that issue. I suggest moving one out just in case and clean both daily. It will nix the chance of ammonia and the bacteria. :)
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #8 
Neil D

1.5 G is good for 1 betta, 2.5 is recommended, 5 is the best, 6 is the one with the treasure chest, and 10 is YAHOO!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Your rocks could be causing some issues too, try taking them out next water change and see if your water gets mirky. But yes, time to upgrade Momma! You can get 5gals for pretty cheap, especially if you look on those sites people sell things on (like craigslist or kijiji). Good luck!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote