Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #1 
tangt88

Question Definitely something wrong with his tail =(

I posted a thread recently about troubles with Loung's tail. We thought it might have been new fin growth, but now there is definitely something wrong with him now. Last night his tail had a bit of a wavy/scalloped edge right at the end and it didn't look any worse than when I first posted last week. Then this afternoon I came home to look at him and half his tail was missing!!! The little bones in his tail are perfectly fine but it's like half his fin tissue just got sucked right off of him. My boyfriend said he didn't notice anything weird about him this morning when he fed him so I think this just happened suddenly. Either overnight or in the span of about 5 hours.

At first his tail was just starting to "dissolve" at the end. No black tips, no discolouration. Just thinning and splitting very slightly. The hard lines (don't know what they are called... spines??) of the tail are not affected, only the soft fin tissue at the end of his tail. There is still no evidence of fin rot but half of his tail just went missing.

I'm so sad! Please help me figure out what is ailing Loung! I just did a 50% water changed today. He doesn't seemed to be bothered by his tail other than having to try harder when he swims since half of his tail is gone.

Name:  2011-07-03 18.51.58.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  43.5 KB

Thanks so much guys

Here is the original thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73691

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees far.
Does your tank have a filter? yes. submergible Elite Stingray 5
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes. adjustable heater.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none. can I put a mini golden clam in there with him?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets + freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day. bloodworms 2-3 times a week as a treat.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus tap water conditioner, Nutrafin Cycle**, Nutrafin Betta Bowl Cleaner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? tail ripping
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 tsp aq salt per gallon
Does your fish have any history of being ill? don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? don't know. took him from pet store 2 weeks ago.
tangt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #2 
CyerRyn

He'll be fine with swimming for sure. My boy is missing his back tail entirely and swims just fine to the surface.. even blows me nice bubble nests. I would just continue the salt treatment for 10 days (same treatment I'm doing to help my boy grow his fins back). If it's fin rot it should take care of it.. if not hopefully someone posts some other tricks to help stop the deterioration. Hope his fins get better soon! He looks so cute!
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #3 
bettaloverforever16

Do you think he might have gotten his tail stuck in the filter?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Looks like a tailbiter to me. But double-check his tank and make sure there aren't any things he could have gotten his tail stuck on. Keep the water extra clean for a few days because even if he doesn't have fin rot, now that his tail has been torn, it's open to infection and clean water is the best way to prevent that. The AQ salt will help too.

I don't know much about the clams. I wanted to put a few in my tank too, until I realized I had no idea how to feed them. I know they are filter eaters and eat extra food/waste from the water but my water isn't dirty enough. Also, there's a kind of clam out there that is an invasive species because it breeds like rabbits. Make sure you don't end up with that one or you'll be having clam bakes for the rest of eternity.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #5 
tangt88

I have all silk plants and filed off any pointy bits on his pineapple cave. The intake of his filter's quite gentle too so I don't think it got stuck. He usually hangs out in open areas too. I've only seen him in a plant once and he completely ignores his cave. I don't even know where to start as far as looking for his trigger. I let him flare at a mirror every couple of days and otherwise seems to be a happy fellow. No bubble nests yet. It seems weird that he could bite that far into his tail. He's rather small so he would have to be quite flexible to nip it all the way to where it is. I hope he gets better soon.. If anyone else has any tips for re growing his tail our has had a similar situation feel free to let me know.

Thanks again sakura. Are you the resident expert? :)

Last edited by tangt88; 07-04-2011 at 05:30 AM.
tangt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #6 
Silverfang

Definitely looks like fin chewing, when they leave those ridges, it's usually a dead give away. I don't know why.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Yeah, Silverfang would know, unfortunately. I'd say tailbiting. AQ salt and clean water to keep infection away. Don't ask me how they manage to bite so much, it's a mystery to all. :-/
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote