Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Poor Venom :(

I did my 50% water change today, everything was fine.

2 hours ago I check on the boys, Venom's tail looked tattered and torn.

I decided to take him out of the divided tank and into a 1gal, I added my conditioner. Within the hour, his fins are nothing but strings and black/goopy.

The only thing I can think of is this is a new bottle of conditioner, he's been fine the last 2 weeks.

*sigh* he's in clean water now with epsom salts... I don't think he'll make it to the morning :(

Could this be a defective bottle?

Edit to add: ammonia is at 0, it's an established tank. pH are constant with what they've always been.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
Creat

Well it doest sound like finrot.. but is he acting the same, and could he have torn his fins off on something? Sorry about him and add id add aq salt to him instead of epsom salt
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I am seeing conflicting information on the internet, people on here have even suggested epsom salt? I dunno. I can't change his water again tonight, I've done it three times today. We'll try aq salt tomorrow if he's still with us.

It's looks like finrot but happening in hours. Everytime I go in, he has less tail. His tails gone from all blue to CT looking and black in 3 hours now.

Even if he tore a fin, for all his fins to rot off and look like little black specs in a cup within hours? I haven't seen that anywhere :( Looks to me more like a chemical burn, or like something is eating his tail very rapidly?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Venom early this week, he looked like this before water change...

Venom when he was moved to the 1g... he has half these finds 2 hours later. I would take a photo but I don't want to upset him even more.

Body color isn't correct because of flash, but his fins were blue. The fin color is correct in this photo.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 
Punki

Epsom is for bloat/constipation. Aquarium salt is for wounds/tears. I hope its not a sever rot that has been posted a couple of times lately on here, moves fast and takes over the body. Do you have a pic possibly? Hope he makes it for you :(
See pic, It does indeed look like the rot a few have recently had on here that killed fast, ill try to find the links
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Venom has a little bloat anyways. Can you add both salts but cut the ammount by half for each?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Is the rot contageous? How would he get it, especially right after his water change? And the fact he was fine until I added the new water?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #8 
Punki

Im not sure on that so i cant answer, this post had a fish that has something looking similar to what yours is having except his rot started at the middle of his tailfin it seems but took over fast. I wonder whats causing this to happen, you mentioning a bad batch of conditioner is a possibility since its a new serious problem only just showing up lately.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....071#post696071
I wouldnt worry about the lsight bloat right now, if your going to do a water change aq salt all the way, possibly even 2tsp a gallon since this is fast moving rot. The betta in the link and another betta who had this attack them both didnt make it too long unfortunatly, but i hope yours can prove it wrong. Nobody can figure this out in the last two times its happened. Its almost unheard of from what i gather for it to move so fast.
Id def move any fish around him in the same water out in case its the conditioner or some chemical but i dont think fin rot itself is contagious.

Last edited by Punki; 07-02-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #9 
Creat

http://www.bettatalk.com/answer30.htm
You can try this method
Also i forget where the page is but you can cut of the fins with a sterile scalpel, I used it once but for something else.. my fish ended up attached to part of the filter... but only if you feel comfortable
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #10 
Indyfishy

O_O whoa, that looks like some extreme finrot. I'd pm OldFishLady and/or Darkmoon17 immediately for any advice, that's some scary stuff. I'm so sorry that your fish is going through that, that would be so sad to watch =(
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote