Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #1 
melony31

Unhappy Bummed...

I found my crowntail betta fish dead this morning. This is the second one I have had die. I want to know what I am doing wrong. The bowl size is about one gallon. It doesn't have a heater. The other betta I had the first time lasted about 6 months like that and he was perfectly happy. The strange thing is both bettas died after I did a water change. I am guessing it is the way I change the water that is killing them....can someone please help?! With the first betta I bought I always used purified bottled water from the store when I would change his water. Then we moved and things were hectic and I wasn't able to go to the store so I changed his water with regular sink water and the next day he died. I did however keep some of his old water and poured that in when I changed it. This time around I used water from a brita filter plus a little of his old water and he still died. This fish was also really picky with his food. I got him about 3 weeks ago and I would offer him food and I never saw him eat it. I tried brine shrimp and the pellets but he didn't seem to like either. Also he always stayed at the top of the bowl and was only active if someone got close to him. PLEASE HELP!
melony31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I am sorry for your loss.

When doing 100% water changes it is important to make sure the temperature is about the same as the water the tank was. Too much of a temperature fluctuation can put a betta in shock.If you don't have a thermometer I would get one..It makes doing 100% water changes a bit easier...It also helps determine if you will need a heater or not.Bettas can get rather sluggish if their water is too cold...It can also make them more likely to become ill. They prefer the water warm..somewhere in between 77-80 degrees... water conditioner is important to get rid of any metals and chlorines in the water..A good one I like is Prime. I would stick with the tap water and get a good water conditioner..Switching the source water too often can be stressful because it can have different water parameters...that alone could put a betta into shock depending on how different the water parameters were.How often were you preforming water changes?
Welcome to the forum.
I am sorry to hear about your first two fish..Do you plan on getting another betta? Bettas sure are fun and addictive once you get their little "quirks" figured out.You may find the stickies at the top of the threads helpful.They are packed full of betta fish care tips.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by melony31 View Post
I found my crowntail betta fish dead this morning. This is the second one I have had die. I want to know what I am doing wrong. The bowl size is about one gallon. It doesn't have a heater. The other betta I had the first time lasted about 6 months like that and he was perfectly happy. The strange thing is both bettas died after I did a water change. I am guessing it is the way I change the water that is killing them....can someone please help?! With the first betta I bought I always used purified bottled water from the store when I would change his water. Then we moved and things were hectic and I wasn't able to go to the store so I changed his water with regular sink water and the next day he died. I did however keep some of his old water and poured that in when I changed it. This time around I used water from a brita filter plus a little of his old water and he still died. This fish was also really picky with his food. I got him about 3 weeks ago and I would offer him food and I never saw him eat it. I tried brine shrimp and the pellets but he didn't seem to like either. Also he always stayed at the top of the bowl and was only active if someone got close to him. PLEASE HELP!
did you ever use water conditioner in your water changes? its neccessary for the bettas.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the loss....if you can give us some more information maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong so your next Betta will do better......

In the 1gal-how much and how often did you make water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, brand and amount of dechlorinator used, type of food and feeding schedule, did you treat for anything or add any type of medications, any tank mates...do you have any water test products or have your water tested at a pet shop....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #5 
melony31

Thanks for your replys...I was doing water changes on my first fish about once every 2 or 3 weeks. On the fish I just got 3 weeks ago that passed away I did one water change since the time I got him. Yes I do plan on getting another betta. No I never used water conditioner.
melony31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #6 
thePWNISHER

Doing a little homework from the Sticky posts will really go a long way. Not just for Bettas but it will help you realize that each fish has its own preferences and if they aren't met. They aren't happy :(
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #7 
masshiimarro

umm... if it was a 1 gal, i would be doing water changes at 50% everyday or 100% every other day...
very likely they were ammonia/nitrate poisoned, which happens when the fish water isnt changed and ammonia/nitrates build up from the waste.
make sure you acclimate your fish before putting them in the changed water. by acclimating, i mean you should float a cup with your betta in it with the old water in the new changed water to let him get used to the temp. after about 10 mins or so, add some of the changed water into the cup so he gets used to the new conditions. repeat a few times, and then release your betta into the bowl. also, use water conditioner! those can be found in any petstore. it gets rid of harmful chemicals like chlorine.

also feeding. sometimes the petstore bettas are really young, and maybe it couldnt fit the pellets or whatever in its mouth :( or, maybe you needed to soak it. if the food was too big for it, soak the pellets until soft and break small pieces off to feed him. if he doesnt eat pellets, maybe he might like frozen bloodworms, those can be found in the freezers of petsmart or petco. if he ends up not eating the food, then you NEED to remove it. if you dont remove it, it just contributes to the ammonia buildup.

hmm thats all i can think of as of now... but hey, at least your trying to figure out what went wrong! we are more than happy to help with things you dont understand. dont give up!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #8 
TheBlueBettaFish

You never remove 100%. Because bacteria bulids up in the tank, bacteria your Betta needs, and if you take it all out he will be stressed! I advise you to go "Ammonia Testers" very good.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #9 
masshiimarro

good bacteria never builds up in small tanks. it does in places like 5 gal tanks, but it doesnt in 1 gal. the ammonia and such build up too much and you have to do water change. 100% is not the best solution, ill admit, but you can if you want.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #10 
masshiimarro

or actually i correct myself, it can build up, but it can never fully cycle.