Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Swim Bladder Issues and HM Questions

This is a little interesting. Tonight, for no apparent reason, my HM began to have some swim bladder problems. He sinks. Not drastically but if he stops swimming, he just slowly starts to sink and he has to swim quite a bit to come up. Normally, he is very much a top of the tank guy where he can see me. He is in his cup now with a bit of epsom salts, kind of sinking in there too but mad as heck about being confined.

But I'm curious as to what could cause this. He is not bloated, he is not stressed, he was fine after his water change at 8:30 AM Saturday morning so I don't think that caused his problem. The only thing I can think of is that he is a bit constipated. He only goes every now and then, usually dropping a poo of amazing size for such a small guy and nothing I've done so far has increased his, er, poo output. But as I said, he's not bloated at all. What are some other possible causes for swim bladder problems that don't involve bloating? And what can I do for his constipation?

Oh, he is a halfmoon and sometimes I do wonder if his tail is too much for him. He's always had trouble turning, especially in tight corners, and will sometimes look as if he's stuck with his body in a turn. He has to put his nose down and maneuver the front part of his body so it is lower than his rear before he can turn. It's kind of hard to describe but my veiltail definitely doesn't turn this way. Bluntly, he can not just simply turn. Ever. It's always a show when he turns.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 79* farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? his reflection

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen bloodworms, freeze-dried bloodworms, frozen daphnia, freeze-dried daphnia, three different kinds of pellets all on a rotating basis. It's Hometown Buffet for fish.
How often do you feed your betta fish? three times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75-90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tonight
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom salts and QT
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only once, a sudden swimbladder issue a few months ago where he could not swim down; a night in QT and epsoms salts plus a bit of pea put him right by the next day
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing a little over a year

Sorry for the looooong post.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #2 
Sakura8

And now just to thoroughly confuse me, his swim bladder issue is gone and he's fine. I'm glad but he's so silly, getting me all panicked for nothing. But I'm still curious about a reason why he might always be turning so funny, if it's just his tail or something else.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote