Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #1 
thatgirl

I think he's dying. :(

I rescued Doyle a while back from the front desk in my dorm. He was doing great until I got ghost shrimp. Ever since I got rid of the ghost shrimp (about 3 months ago) he's been doing worse and worse.

This is his symptoms:
  • First he had fin rot and once I could see new clear fin growth, he gets it again.
  • Then he has little white dots on him, kinda like dandruff Could it be ick?
  • Then his eyes started getting cloudy and I can tell he can't see as well as he use to, because he has a lot of trouble eating. He won't notice the food is there unless I make the water vibrate. And he can only eat when the food is against the tank wall at the top.
  • On top of everything listed above, he now swims weird. Like his rear is heaver than his head. His rear is always lower almost to the point that he's vertical.
  • He never really swims anymore. You can tell that it's hard for him. He just hangs out on his leaf. He has clamped fish too, but he still eats like a piggy and seems happy to when I go near his tank.

Is the end near for Doyle? Is he older than I think?? What should I do??

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 80-82 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets each morning. Blood worms every once in awhile. Fasting day each week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% and one 100% a week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:No.
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment- *listed above*
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? *listed above*
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? *listed above*
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The very first symptom? About 3 months ago. He has something wrong with him, it goes away, then he gets something new, but now he seems to have everything all at once.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Salt treatment, but stopped after there wasn't any improvement.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Kinda.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 8 months (not including how long he was in the pet store)
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like you are doing everything right as far as husbandry....since you got him sick and compromised to start with...I would say that it is most likely age related as he is nearing 2 years and along with the bad start he had before you rescued him and probably still immune compromised...not much you can do but keep him comfy.....but don't give up on him just yet......I would lower the water level by half so he doesn't have to struggle so much with the heavy fins and add Epson salt 1tsp/gal long term and if you have any tannins from either IAL or dried oak leaf-add this to his tank and continue with the current care you are giving him.......
Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 
cupboardgirl

Stressed Doyle...

Hey there, I have had my betta fish for about 8ish months now, he was doing really well and after my boyfriend cleaned his tank for me he started going downhill. Exactly the same symptoms you've described minus the finrot as it only lasted a week or so. To fix the problem I asked someone at my local petshop and apparenlty these symptoms can occur when your fish is stressed out. The white dandruff looking stuff really worried me too.
The pet shop sold me something called "stress coat" it's basically just a water conditioner that has aloe vera added to it. It helps your fish to de-stress and puts an aloe vera coating over them to help them heal and grow back their fin areas that were effected.
It's cheap and all you need to do is add a couple of drops to the tank. (don't clean him out or do a water change first as it can add to the stress).
I noticed a change within a day or so.
I hope you give it a go and this helps so your fishy is all happy and healthy again! It at least can't hurt to try!
Also the guy at my pet shop told me he has kept betta's most of his life and they can even life upto 4-5 years if happy and healthy! So it probably isn't a matter of age =)
cupboardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #4 
thatgirl

Thank you both! Theres a pet store next to my work so I'll pick some up! I think I'll take his decorations out to see if one of them were causing it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 
thatgirl

What stress coat drops do you recommend??
Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #6 
cupboardgirl

This is the one I bought... http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Pr...x?ProductID=43 It was about $7.99 at my pet shop. So fairly cheap and worked well. I hope it does for yours! My fish has a few rocks and a couple of decorative old hermite crab shells in his tank, I thought it might of been from them too. But the stress coat seemed to work fine. So keep him in the environment he's used to and just give it a go before removing anything else to avoid stressing him out anymore. (if that is the problem) It could be something else, but the stress coat worked for me and my fishy and if you do give it a go it won't hurt because it's only water conditioner with aloe vera =D good luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #7 
namelessfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboardgirl View Post
Hey there, I have had my betta fish for about 8ish months now, he was doing really well and after my boyfriend cleaned his tank for me he started going downhill. Exactly the same symptoms you've described minus the finrot as it only lasted a week or so. To fix the problem I asked someone at my local petshop and apparenlty these symptoms can occur when your fish is stressed out. The white dandruff looking stuff really worried me too.
The pet shop sold me something called "stress coat" it's basically just a water conditioner that has aloe vera added to it. It helps your fish to de-stress and puts an aloe vera coating over them to help them heal and grow back their fin areas that were effected.
It's cheap and all you need to do is add a couple of drops to the tank. (don't clean him out or do a water change first as it can add to the stress).
I noticed a change within a day or so.
I hope you give it a go and this helps so your fishy is all happy and healthy again! It at least can't hurt to try!
Also the guy at my pet shop told me he has kept betta's most of his life and they can even life upto 4-5 years if happy and healthy! So it probably isn't a matter of age =)

yea i agree completely with cupboardgirl... i have 4 fish and ive used that aloe vera conditioner for every single one of their water changes since i got them, and they've never had any health problems so i think that'll help him, or at least make him feel a bit better. :)
namelessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #8 
thatgirl

Ok. So I dont put in my regular water conditioner with it? I just use the stress coat.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #9 
cupboardgirl

It won't matter much if you use the water conditioner aswell, but because it is a water conditioner itself id suggest just using the stress coat because it doubles as water conditioner and something to de-stress and help heal your fish.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

You don't need to use your normal conditioner as long as you add the full dose of Stress Coat. Don't skimp on it. However, you will want to perform extra water changes since the toxins that build up are much more stressful than the water changing process. Adding the Epsom Salt as OFL suggested will also help de-stress him and could help with the eye fog and swimming trouble.

Are you still seeing those spots? Are there more/less? Can you take a pic?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote