Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #11 
namelessfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Can you post a better pic...by that pic it looks like normal pigment....
unfortunately i can't get a picture of the orange one. BOTH my cameras just ran out of battery when i tried to take a pic of him. but his tail is definitely jagged from what i can see, dramatically different from the picture above. luckily i did manage to get a picture of the blue guy and here he is:

the only other pic i have of him is from december, he looked like this:

thank you so, so much for you help.

ps. feel free to tell me if im being completely irrational and worrying too much :P
namelessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #12 
namelessfish

is anyone thereeee
Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #13 
namelessfish

since an hour has passed since the last response, i decided to just go ahead and add the aquarium salt. i started with the blue guy who is in a 5 gallon and i added less than a spoonful of the salt to his tank (i didnt want to risk overdosing him) but yea so he's in a cup and im gonna wait for the salts to dissolve..
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #14 
namelessfish

i did the same with the orange guy except since he's in a 1 gallon and i dont have a teaspoon i only put in 6 grains of salt literally..im so stressed right now..

the blue guy seems a bit uncomfortable so im gonna take him out , remove half of the salty water and substitute it with non-salted water...

i would really appreciate if someone would help me out..i love my bettas..ive had the blue guy for almost a year and im very attached, as am i to the orange guy..i dont want to do anything wrong..please help me :(
Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #15 
bettaloverforever16

Don't take him out!! Just take away 1/4 of the water instead of half, so you're sure the salt water is still working. Also add a little bit more salt to the orange guy's tank.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #16 
namelessfish

oh oops i just got back from changing the water and saw your message, i took out a bit less than half and put in regular water, should i not have done that? what should i do now?

ok i'll add some salt to the orange guy
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #17 
namelessfish

because when i put the blue guy in the first time he started swimming around like a maniac (he usually just sits around chilling) so i assumed he was uncomfortable, i put him in now and hes acting fine
Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #18 
Silverfang

from that picture, it looks like he was biting his tail. Clean water is what he needs.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #19 
namelessfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
from that picture, it looks like he was biting his tail. Clean water is what he needs.
oh, really? he doesn't have any history of being a tail biter though, but i really can't tell the difference between tail biting or fin rot so i'll take your word for it. so what should i do? i already have him in a bit of salt, should i leave him in it for the night or should i do a water change now?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #20 
Silverfang

The treatment for fin rot and tail is the same. Basically you keep up with daily water changes to try and prevent rot or infection from setting in. AQ salt 1 tsp/gal can also be used, it all depends on how aggressively you treat him.

And from looking at his tail, I see the same feathery bits that my own boy is displaying, it's so frustrating to have a biter. Trying to find out what causes him to bite will help. If it's stress, then turn off the lights and try to keep him calm. If it's boredom, let him have some time flaring at a mirror. Rearrange the decorations in his tank when you change his water. It can be trial and error to figure it out. And the third option is, they're like human nail biters, won't stop, just have bad habits, all we can do is do our best to prevent infection.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium salt, betta, fin, finrot, rot