Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Gill Injuries?

Making dinner today and I noticed my betta looks like he has boo boos on his gills. It looks as tho his scales in that area are gone/there are scabs.
What is this?
I haven't seen him rubbing himself on anything.
I have just put him into a new tank yesterday.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

Can you post a pic.....

You moved him to a new tank from what and in that old tank-how much and how often did you make water changes, temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, how long have you had him.....any behavior changes....has he ever been sick and/or treated, if so, explain....
Any tank mate in either of the tanks you have him in.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #3 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum...

Can you post a pic.....

You moved him to a new tank from what and in that old tank-how much and how often did you make water changes, temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, how long have you had him.....any behavior changes....has he ever been sick and/or treated, if so, explain....
Any tank mate in either of the tanks you have him in.....
I cannot get a very good quality photo of his problem. I've had him for a year or so. Maybe a little longer. His appetite hasn't changed any. He gets fed every morning. He has never been sick. No additives, no live plants.

Here are the specs of his previous tank:
2.5 gallons
Here is the filter he had:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3858&lmdn=Size
3 lbs of white gravel
rock like tunnel with fake red plastic greenery on the side
fake red plastic plant
Temp is ALWAYS maintained around 75 degrees F

15% water changes once a month done with a gravel vacuum
gravel gets vacuumed during water changes
No tank mates

New tank specs:
3.5 Gallons
Here is his current tank. http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=15599
I bought it at PetsMart but I couldn't find the actual product online.
Same amount of gravel
Same decor
Temp remains the same.
Even the decor is nearly in the same position
Over half of the water in this tank is from his previous tank.

The ONLY behavior change was when the filter in the previous tank finally stopped working. That was a week and a half ago. He swam less and towards the beginning of this weekend he started flaring at me and getting aggressive towards me.
Since I've put him into his new tank he resumed normal behavior. He is swimming normally, he has stopped being aggressive towards me.
His appetite between in that time never changed.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 07-03-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #4 
bettaloverforever16

You need to do more than one water change a month for a tank that size, and also change more than 15% of the water. Other than that I think your doing everything right except maybe the water isn't right.

Are you using water conditioner when changing his water?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaloverforever16 View Post
You need to do more than one water change a month for a tank that size, and also change more than 15% of the water. Other than that I think your doing everything right except maybe the water isn't right.

Are you using water conditioner when changing his water?
Yes I am
I've been an aquarium addict for years. I've always had a large tropical aquarium tho. I've only had this one betta.
I would imagine the water is correct since Fishy has lived with me for more than a year.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like poor water quality has caught up with him.....in tanks under 5gal with filters-they need twice weekly 50% water changes....1-50% water only and 1-50% with vacuum to maintain water quality.......

Filter media need a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month.....

Caring for smaller tanks are a bit different than the bigger tanks.....tanks over 20g give you a bit more room for error....and with the more surface area you have more nitrifying bacteria for a stable nitrogen cycle....oddly enough....small tanks can sometimes be harder.......

Right now-I would start by making 25% daily water changes for 2 days-then 50% for 2 days-then 50% with vacuum....if you have a water test kit....test the nitrate and pH and make small changes on these since too big a swing can shock them....since you are an experienced hobbyist-this is more for others reading.....I am sure you know that you want to keep the ammonia and nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5-10ppm...at least under 30ppm for the immune response......

pH, KH/GH-with Bettas they will adapt and it is best not to change these-but with the normal decomp that goes on in a tank that has had limited water changes...as you know....it can cause a build up of nitrate and decrease in pH so you want to be careful with too large volume water change until you get these pram stable....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote