Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #1 
Sakura8

Sorority Question: Colors

I have four girls ready to go into a sorority. One is a natural marble girl. The other three are red and of those three red girls, two are almost identical. I noticed when I attempted the sorority that the three red girls almost exclusively attacked each other, leaving the marble girl alone, leading me to think that my difficulties in establishing this sorority has to do with the similarity of their colors. Does anyone else with a sorority have girls who are a similar color and how do they behave? I didn't do this on purpose; one girl was brown when I got her and another was baby blue but turned red during the first night I had her. Pics of the girls:
Attached Images

Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #2 
Super Fish

An interesting theory! I've heard people say similar things before.

My 5 are all pretty much blue. You can see them here. They are not overly aggressive with one another.
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #3 
Creat

I sometimes think thats how it works I had a sorrority of about four girls the one who was ignored was a white dbt but no one dared pick on her she was a beast and was at least double their size so they ignored her... however in my bigger sorority the lighter fish are included with the other reds and blues the one who is the outcast is a blue ct girl which i dont understand....
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Hmm all my girls except for Peaches are blue but they rarely fight each other.. They do when Peaches isn't around but not when she is. But then again, they're sisters so maybe they tolerate each other? Maybe they don't see Winnie as a threat because she doesn't behave like one? My girls all fought when I put them in but when I put Peaches and Cleo in, it was only both of them fighting and the rest watching. Only the dominant ones fought each other. The others stayed low and didn't get attacked...
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Maybe I just had the bad luck to pick three girls who are all dominant personalities and they happened to be red. It sure is causing trouble though. As long as I have only one red girl and the rest are different colors, the sorority seems to work. But the moment I put in another red girl, those two are like gladiators and the other girls just watch them duke it out. The red girls NEVER give it a rest. I really do think, after several tries at this, that they'd fight till one of them was too injured to go on (or dead) if I didn't freak out and remove one. When a red girl fights a non-red girl, it's over in a second because the non-red girl just retreats. But in a red vs red fight, no one retreats.

*shakes head* I just don't get it.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #6 
fightergirl2710

They're definitely both very dominant then, the red thing is an I don't know for me lol. Cleo and Peaches were separated because of the same reason, they wouldn't stop and they were so ferocious not like a little tiff or anything...
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I know I need to get more girls for the sorority since I can't put two of the three red girls in. But I'm worried about where the heck I'd put more girls if they don't get along either. I have no more room for separate tanks.

And now I know: don't get any betta girl who looks brown or even a bit brown in the store. It almost certainly means she'll turn red on you. :p

Yeah, the funny part of Goldi and Zenny fighting was Winnie circling around like she was a referee at a wrestling match. "Let's get ready to ruuuuumble!"
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

Hehehe! I've noticed, in my time of female shopping that aggressive girls will be the ones who wiggle at you a lot in the store! Meeker girls will usually be more thoughtful looking and like to look around their surroundings and stuff.. I hope that made sense XD This is my experience :P
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I tend to pick the healthier, more active (and thus more aggressive) girls. And yet, when I picked Goldi, she was clamped and striped on the bottom of her cup. And so was Zenny for that matter. Neither one paid too much attention to me when I picked their cups up. Winnie was curious and active, though and Wanda wasn't clamped or stressed. Maybe I just gravitate toward the aggressive girls? Sigh. I wanted a blue girl from Wal-Mart but she was HUGE. She was like a King/monster betta. I was afraid she'd sumo wrestle my girls to the bottom of the tank.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #10 
fightergirl2710

Don't worry, I tend to pick the aggresive ones too! I looove how they do the wiggle dance! I say you should get more like Winnie.. I heard that kings aren't anymore aggressive than normal bettas. Can't really say though :/