Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #1 
Waterbottle2

I want a snail

Hey, i'd really like to get a snail for my new 6.6g can anyone post? There will be just 1 betta and a snail in there I dont think that'll be overstocking? What temps, food do they need? What kind should I get? How often should they be fed?
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #2 
meeka

What sort of snail are you thinking of getting?
Try aquadvisor.com it will tell you about your stocking levels.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #3 
mernincrazy8525

i have about 300 snails in a 2.5 gallon tank because they breed like crazy!!! i have ramshorns.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 
Waterbottle2

I was just want an average snail from the aquarium shop, wont get to big for a 6.6gallon tank
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

An Apple Snail or Gold/Blue Mystery Snail would do well. ^^ Or you could have several pond snails/ramshorn snails (they breed like crazy though!).
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #6 
Amitisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeka View Post
What sort of snail are you thinking of getting?
Try aquadvisor.com it will tell you about your stocking levels.
just a fyi, it is aqadvisor.com

great site, thanks Meeka
Amitisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #7 
newbie32

I'm a big fan of Inca snails. They are also known as mystery snails or apple snails. They do just fine in warm water. I feed my snail a piece of algae wafer once or twice a week. Any more than that and he refuses to eat. They are very low maintenance, other than the amount of waste they leave behind. You need to watch out for bettas attack their eyes and antennae. Also, watch your snail's shell. When the water is lacking in certain minerals, the shell will suffer and growth with be slowed. The shell can actually become weakend as well. Just as a side note, inca snails can get fairly big, but I think that depends on how much room they have to roam, but don't quote me on that one!!! And they do not reproduce on their own. They require one male and one female snail for that. Other types of snails can reproduce on their own and can create quite the pile up of snails. Hope this helps!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #8 
newfiedragon

I think snails are great fun! Especially for the fish. One of my bettas was a tailbiter, and as soon as I put a snail in his tank, he stopped. The snail kept him entertained, I guess.

The one thing to remember about snails is that if they die, it's hard to tell if they're dead. I had a snail for months, and I guess old age started to catch up to him (no clue how old he was when I got him) and he started to slow down. He would stay inside his shell for days at a time. If he hadn't moved for a few days, I would move him and he would usually perk up and start moving for a while. He barely ate, either.

The last time I did this, when I went to poke at him with the net, I saw that he'd already started to decompose. It was pretty gross. And strange, cause the water didn't smell bad (I'd been sniffing whenever I would feed my betta, just in case). So I had to take everything out of the tank, sanitize it all, and put it all back together again. Blech!!!
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #9 
ds2009

I would suggest a nerite snail or two. Theyre small snails (the apple and golden snailes creep my out because theyre so big) and they are really cute. Also they are good at keeping algae under control. I never feed my snail because he is satisfied with any algae that is growing (also he never really ate the snail food i gave him). You cant go wrong with a nerite snail!
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #10 
Waterbottle2

will nerite snails reproduce on there own?