Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 
PiscisAmor

Smile Betta Quirks and Habits?

As we dedicated bettakeepers know, fish have very distinct personalities, and with those personalities. They are also manipulative little twerps, much smarter and wilier than most give them credit for. What kind of quirks do your bettas have, and what methods do they use to bend you to their will?

Aliquis likes to hang out near my Venus statue decoration's chest area (picture of my tank on my profile). Perverted little fish.

As far as getting more food... He knows where I keep his food. So when he sees me walk over there he is IMMEDIATELY in feeding position. When I had first gotten him I was planning on training him that when I turned the lightbulb on it was food time... turns out he doesn't need that. He knows that I mean business when it comes to food and that I won't deviate from his feeding schedule.

Grandma, on the other hand, (my mom)... I swear he recognizes her, because she walks into my room and he puffs right up, flaring, and swimming ever so stately. And he points towards his food containers. So of course my mom feels bad and feeds him. He is such a porker.

Your turns!
PiscisAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #2 
limeslide

Oh my! Your betta sounds so cute. :P The little devil!

Texas knows where I feed him, and where his food/tweezers are kept, every time I walk up to the aquarium to attend to the plants, or something, he nears the area where I feed him (top left corner of the 10g) and makes this puppy face and just pleads you to feed him, and he dances all over the corner. Sometimes I feed him just so he'll go away, but he keeps wanting more and more! I've been having to ignore his home for a while so I won't feel bad for not feeding him, but if I fed him everyday he would constipate, since the stupid workers at Wal*Mart must of fed him freeze dried bloodworm once, and he'll only eat that. Nothing else. I can't afford to buy live foods -yet-, so I have him on a strict schedule.... >_>

He also seems to know the difference between my mom, my sister, me, and my brother. His tank is right next to the faucet, so every time my mom nears the area he immediately goes to her side and does a little dance for her. Very cute. :P He also knows who's finger is who's. When I introduced my sister to Texas, I told her to stick her finger in the tank, assuming he would nip at it like my Mollies and Guppies outdoors, but he flared so hard at her finger it was almost scary, it looked like he exploded with color and madness. o_O The same thing happened with my brother, he placed his finger and he started circling it showing of his fins and colors at full flare, but he took it out before Texas bit his finger. xD Strangely, when I place my finger/arm in the tank for whatever reason, he nears his feeding place, or he just rubs against it in a friendly matter, the little bugger. xD They are very smart fish, indeed.
limeslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #3 
PiscisAmor

haha ur guy sounds like a little devil too. Aliquis is a lovey love. But when my finger goes in the tank he swims away as fast as he can.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #4 
Larsa

Ryu is a feisty lil boy who likes to show off when I place a female next to his tank. When he flares, he darts around the tank fast, pounding agaisnt the glass. Hes violent torwards other fish and a really rough eater. He loves to sleep on his thermometer inbetween the suction cup and the glass part of the thermometer.

Izume is very chilled, restimg and swimming around slowly. He shakes and is talkitive when I'm around. When i turn his tank light on he can see his reflection and startes flaring but still moves very slow. Kinda doppy but peaceful, not very violent. He hides in his volcano to sleep or if his water is too warm after water changes. He's a big bubble eater.

Sakura has a cute puppy face and gets along well with other females. She flares but never bites. She's always happy and always shows vertical lines whenever she is placed around a male, sometimes females too. When I feed her daphnia in an eye dropper,she bit the glass thinking she could still get food.

Kasumi is beyond hyper! She flares gills at others and loves to bite other girls. She shakes her fins a lot and flares at males, so she isn't a good choice for breeding even if she is conditioned. She jumps and bites my finger out of the water. She also eats bubbles and flicks her dorsal fin. I don't think she sleeps lolz she's always waiting under the tank opening where I feed her!

Amaya is a carefree girl who gets excited when there is food. She has these black shark eyes that stare into your soul. I put her an Sakura together one day and they flared as they circled around eachother, stopped, then just didn't care. Lol she's good with other girls but sometimes eats her own poop and blows bubbles a lot.

Bettas have so many personalities!!!

Last edited by Larsa; 07-04-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #5 
pinksnowme

Blizzard knows the difference between my husband me. I am the feeder So of course Blizzard gets all swimmy and snuggles next to my side of the bowl when I sit down at the table. After he realizes that he isnt getting any more handouts he goes to visit hubby's side of the table. He likes to follow the silverware and napkins around as we use them.
pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #6 
CyerRyn

Each one of my lovely little fishies have their own personality and I think that is the reason why I've fallen completely in love with Betta's. Sazzer is so funny cuz in order for him to swim to the top he does this butt wiggle.. reminds me of a dog begging for food! Bloo likes to flirt with his fins every time I walk into the room.. he'll flash off his crown tail then hide in his plants... but if you get near the glass of his bowl he'll back up a little and flare at you.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #7 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyerRyn View Post
Each one of my lovely little fishies have their own personality and I think that is the reason why I've fallen completely in love with Betta's. Sazzer is so funny cuz in order for him to swim to the top he does this butt wiggle.. reminds me of a dog begging for food! Bloo likes to flirt with his fins every time I walk into the room.. he'll flash off his crown tail then hide in his plants... but if you get near the glass of his bowl he'll back up a little and flare at you.
So true. I think that is why I just feel completely for all the girls in my sorority. In that type of setting you can really see what they are like.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #8 
PiscisAmor

Pinksnowme I love that he follows you're silverware!

They are totally like little miniature dogs!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #9 
nel3

i dont know much about my betta's behaviour yet, had him 7 weeksso far. i do notice that he's always ready to eat when someone comes near the tank. he had a funny moment today when i was feeding him flakes. he took a bite of a flake that was slightly too large for his mouth. it happend that the main flake fell into 2 peices, the big one and the smaller one. he took the larger one but didnt manage to swallow right away and immediately after had 2 failed attempts to eat the smaller piece while he still had his mouth full of the first flake.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
Mermaid Fish

My one betta always knows when it's food time. Come up to the right corner of the tank. Not bettas, but my 2 guinea pigs know I feed them at night so whenever I walk in at night they always squeal for food. xD The funniest/ weirdest thing I ever had a betta do was cram himself into a little castle. I was always afraid he's get stuck or not come out, but he did.

See that hole in the castle? Even with his giant fins he fit through.
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote