Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #21 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seka View Post
I have moneyworts and wisteria as well, plus anubia, amazon swords, and java fern. Mine is the same way with the moneyworts; he keeps circling around them over and over and over and over... I get dizzy watching him.
How many plants total would you put in a 10g tank?

Quote:
I've spotted one chilling on the leaf hammock at the top of my tank. He must be really relaxed to do that even with the betta darting around.
I read on here that my glofish (are those neons?) like driftwood and floating plants in their aquariums. I asked my local Petsmart if they had anything like this, but the driftwood they had were huge rocks, so I'm guessing that's not what the profile was suggesting. Do you know where I can get those at?

Quote:
In a 10g you can pretty much have 3-5 fish of the same kind that school together: 3-5 neon tetras OR cories OR otos for example. Or you can add a couple of mystery snails OR 7-8 ghost, amano or cherry shrimp OR a couple of african dwarf frogs for example. These are just a few examples to give you an idea of how many you can put in the tank without overstocking it.
Thanks. I will look into the schooling fish you suggested. I wouldn't want any snails, shrimps, or frogs though, lol.

Quote:
Here's a link that might help: Betta Compatibility Guide Read the whole thread, not just the first "guide" post.
I will definitely check out the link. This has been a good learning experience for me.
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #22 
Seka

I don't think there's a specific number of plants for a tank. It varies, and really depends on the kind. I think as long as all the plants are thriving you're good no matter how many you put in. For instance, when doing a betta sorority you want to plant as many as possible to have plenty of hiding spaces and break up the line of sight at all water levels.

I don't know much about glofish. You can check the petco and petsmart web sites to see what they carry and order it online. There's other sites to order the driftwood from like www.aquabid.com, www.bigalsonline.com, and www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com, but I don't order online so don't know much about them; other forum members have, though. Here's a link to a plant guide to help you find floating plants: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ht=plant+guide that are low maintenance. Some of the plants are pretty common so petco and petsmart carry them.

The link I provided in the earlier post talks about the compatibility of glofish and bettas, plus some other fish, but here are a few more links: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=glofish, http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=glofish, http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=glofish

Also, just fun glofish facts: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=glofish
Seka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #23 
rswfire

Thanks for all your time in replying to my messages. I've actually read all about the glofish on the official website. I know they are genetically modified to glow, but they're so darn cute, lol... I know they are danios, so maybe "neon tetras" are something else altogether. I just got done assembling the glofish tank exactly like Gizmo's, heater, modified water filter, etc. The only thing they are lacking now are plants and toys! Their tank is rather sparse compared to Gizmo's. I got them on a whim. They're now in a tank the same size right next to Gizmo's. They were in a different tank before and for a while I had them next to Gizmo and he enjoyed watching them; he has never puffed at them or anything. I think he finds them amusing!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #24 
Seka

No problem. I enjoy helping other people. Plus I get to learn stuff I'd never think about researching myself, and then who knows, I might decide to get some glofish now, too.

That's cute that he enjoys watching them. It also tells you a lot about his personality regarding tank mates so that's a good thing. If he finds it amusing just to watch them, he might find it more amusing to actually interact with something.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #25 
rswfire

Quote:
No problem. I enjoy helping other people. Plus I get to learn stuff I'd never think about researching myself, and then who knows, I might decide to get some glofish now, too.

That's cute that he enjoys watching them. It also tells you a lot about his personality regarding tank mates so that's a good thing. If he finds it amusing just to watch them, he might find it more amusing to actually interact with something.
The first time he ever made a bubble nest was after I got the glofish, but it could be coincidence. The same day I also got him a 10g tank; that's how I ended up with the glofish, because I knew I'd have an extra tank to house them once I moved him into the bigger home.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #26 
Seka

It could be just a coincidence; there's really no way to tell except get him to talk somehow. Mine stopped making bubble nests when I moved him from his 2.5g to the 10g, but he seems more active in the 10g so I'm keeping it like that regardless. I think mine just isn't used to the 10g enough to make bubble nests; it took him a long time in the 2.5g. I'm starting to see tiny lines of bubbles along the edges so I'm hoping for a bubble nest soon.

Gizmo sounds like he's very happy with his current accommodations, though. Whether you get him tank mates or not, he will have a long, happy and healthy life for sure.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #27 
rswfire

Quote:
I'm starting to see tiny lines of bubbles along the edges so I'm hoping for a bubble nest soon.
I have done full water changes on his tank about four times in the past week (for various reasons -- he's finally set up now) that I think he has decided the bubble nests are more effort than they are worth, because he is doing exactly what you described above now, lol.

Quote:
Gizmo sounds like he's very happy with his current accommodations, though. Whether you get him tank mates or not, he will have a long, happy and healthy life for sure.
I hope so. He looks kind of old to me, and I don't know if I am giving him all the care he needs. I was overfeeding him because I couldn't resist it when he would swirl around the tank edges when I'd talk to him and run my finger next to him, but his stomach started getting pretty big, so I've cut him back. I was giving him like ten pellets at a time. Then, I got him some freeze dried blood worms, and now I can't get him to eat the pellets! These are recent developments; I haven't fed him at all today, the first time since I got him. Can you tell from my pictures if he looks healthy (or old)?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #28 
Seka

Lol, mine would make a bubble nest right before a water change. I tried keeping them as intact as possible, and he'd fix them. Now I don't know if he will make one, we'll see.

Gizmo looked a bit on the side of being overfed. Cut down to 2-3 pellets at a time, 2 feedings a day OR 4-5 pellets if fed only once a day. Blood worms once a week if you really want to treat him since it's like junk food. You can also try tropical flakes. As long as the food has a 40% or higher protein amount, the food is good. 50% actually, but that's hard to find. Fast him one day a week, set a day so it's always the same day. That means NO FOOD the whole day; I know it's hard, but it's good for him, especially after being overfed. That should help improve the way he looks.

Also, stop with the full water changes so your tank can build up good bacteria and cycle. I don't know if you have a master test kit to test the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, alkalinity, chlorine and hardness, but if you don't, get one. Test the water to make sure the water is good for bettas. You can post the results of the test on here if you don't understand what they mean. Once cycled, maintaining the tank becomes much easier since the water changes don't need to be as large or frequent. Do you have a gravel vacuum/siphon? If not, get one. It makes water changes a breeze.

I don't think he's old. Bettas aren't old when they're sold by pet stores. Depending on how they're treated, they could live anywhere from a few days to six years (although older have been reported). By joining this forum and willing to learn how to take care of Gizmo you're on the right track to having him for years rather than days/months. Read other threads on the forum to learn more about how to take care of him and make his fins, tail, and scales look better, not just your threads. There's tons of information on here.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #29 
rswfire

Quote:
Lol, mine would make a bubble nest right before a water change. I tried keeping them as intact as possible, and he'd fix them. Now I don't know if he will make one, we'll see.
It is fun to watch them fix them up! I put some new plants in his tank one day and tried to avoid his bubble nest, but it did start to dissipate and he went right to work fixing it up, haha...

Quote:
Gizmo looked a bit on the side of being overfed. Cut down to 2-3 pellets at a time, 2 feedings a day OR 4-5 pellets if fed only once a day. Blood worms once a week if you really want to treat him since it's like junk food. You can also try tropical flakes. As long as the food has a 40% or higher protein amount, the food is good. 50% actually, but that's hard to find. Fast him one day a week, set a day so it's always the same day. That means NO FOOD the whole day; I know it's hard, but it's good for him, especially after being overfed. That should help improve the way he looks.
Good advice.

Quote:
Also, stop with the full water changes so your tank can build up good bacteria and cycle. I don't know if you have a master test kit to test the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, alkalinity, chlorine and hardness, but if you don't, get one. Test the water to make sure the water is good for bettas. You can post the results of the test on here if you don't understand what they mean. Once cycled, maintaining the tank becomes much easier since the water changes don't need to be as large or frequent. Do you have a gravel vacuum/siphon? If not, get one. It makes water changes a breeze.
I don't normally change his water so often. I definitely understand the importance of getting good bacteria into his tank. The good news is that he doesn't seem at all stressed by the process. He watches me cleaning all of his things, almost with an excited look on his face.

I haven't bought a master kit yet, mostly because it looks daunting as hell to deal with so many chemicals, but I have taken my water to Petsmart to be tested, and everything has come back really good.

I do have a siphon. I only recently started using gravel in his tank. He had glass marbles in his other tank. I don't have any reason now to do full water changes, so I will start doing partial changes from now on.

Quote:
Read other threads on the forum to learn more about how to take care of him and make his fins, tail, and scales look better, not just your threads. There's tons of information on here.
Oh, I've definitely read a lot on this site already, including all of the stickies. And before I found this site, I did lots of reading on bettas. There's just a lot of conflicting information out there. Finding this site wasn't very easy from a Google search. I think I came across it by happenstance from a link on another site. When I saw how vibrant the forum community was, I decided to join.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #30 
ollief9

Your tank looks really nice.. well done!
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, tank setup