Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #1 
Minxies

Question Too much chemicals?

Hi, I'm new to the site~
I've referenced you guys for a few questions I've had already, but I didn't find an answer to this one. So I figured I would ask.
Also-- I figured it would be nice to join a group that's passionate about their fish as well.
I've been going on and on about my newest member to the family; and I am sure my friends are going "yeah, yeah, yeah, enough already. It's a fish..."
(Never thought I'd be this gaga over him...)

Anyways.
I've been taking care of my new Betta for about a week or so. (I'm a new Betta owner for the most part.) Everything seems well, My betta (Aoi Hiiro) is very active and happily swims up to the top of the tank when I get close. His tank stays about 80 degrees. So everything seems smooth.

the thing I wanted to ask was; I do partial water changes twice a week for his 3 gallon tank.
I have water conditioner for the tap water I use... But I also have Tap Water Dechlorinator. Both by Top Fin; a brand made by Petsmart.

I see both things treat Chlorine, Chloramine, and heavy metals.
The conditioner says right on the bottle that is also promotes a slime coat for my fishy.

I tried calling the numbers on the bottle but the gentleman I spoke to didn't have a clue; he said he mainly dealt with the phone aspects of his job, not the product or animals. (ridiculous)
I honestly don't feel like driving all the way to PetSmart to get my answer..

Is using both the water conditioner and Tap Water Dechlorinator too much chemicals? Am I over treating my fish's water???
He seems healthy, but I don't want anything to happen to him if I'm messing up the treatment of water.
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Minxies and welcome to the forum. Both of your products are essentially the same thing. You probably aren't hurting your betta using both but it might eventually do harm in the long run. Of the two products, I would use the water conditioner that also aids the slime coat of the fish.

I'm super glad to hear you're so happy with your new guy and I'm sure he's happy to be with you. If you have any more questions about water changes or anything else, don't hesitate to post. We're all nice here, we don't bite and only a few of us flare.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chemicals, over-treating, tap water