Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 
MikiMaki

Keeping a tank cool.

We usually have the opposite problem with betta's, but it's crazy hot here, and even with the a/c and the heater taken completely out the temp in there is at 84 degs. I have a snail in there so I can't take the lid off. I've kept the light off to keep the temp down but on really hot days it's not helping much. Any ideas on keeping it cool? I'm afraid of the cold spots by floating a frozen bottle of water in there.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #2 
KKBella

We're starting to have this problem too in our 3 gal tank as the temps are going up. Yesterday I turned off the light, but not sure what to do besides that. Maybe more frequent water changes with cool water might help.
KKBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
rswfire

I was thinking the same thing as KKBella. In my experience, to lower the temperature in a tank, it takes more cold water than hot (like an 80/20 mix). If you have a water filter, you could try adding some ice cubes since the filter should homogenize the temperature pretty quickly, and at least that way you're lowering the temperature a little more gradually.
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote