Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 
steve617

Loss Fins

Besides Fin and Tail Rot, what would be other reasons for a Betta to loos fins. I have a 25 heavely planted gallon tank and the Betta I had was slowly loosing its fins. It later died. 2 days ago I replaced it with another betta and now 2 days later it's fins looks very bad. I really dont think its fin rot or any other fish causing it. I have watched the tank closely and no one has bothered the Betta. The only other fish I have is 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 black neons. The one thing I do have is some surface algae. Thanks for any idea. I check the amonia level and everything was fine. Tommorow I'm going to do a larger water change than what I normally do. I now have the Betta quarnteened and treating him. Thanks for any suggestions.
steve617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #2 
gbose

Steve,

Is you tank cycled? if not, that could be the problem.

Otherwise, look at getting a second, smaller tank for youur betta. It may be the stress of being in a large tank with other fish... Bettas are not very social.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve617 View Post
Besides Fin and Tail Rot, what would be other reasons for a Betta to loos fins. I have a 25 heavely planted gallon tank and the Betta I had was slowly loosing its fins. It later died. 2 days ago I replaced it with another betta and now 2 days later it's fins looks very bad. I really dont think its fin rot or any other fish causing it. I have watched the tank closely and no one has bothered the Betta. The only other fish I have is 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 black neons. The one thing I do have is some surface algae. Thanks for any idea. I check the amonia level and everything was fine. Tommorow I'm going to do a larger water change than what I normally do. I now have the Betta quarnteened and treating him. Thanks for any suggestions.
there are a few other things that could be happening. He could be tailbiting or the neons could be biting him.Neons can be nippy if kept in small numbers.He could be ripping his fins on something or the current may be strong and causing fin damage.Sometimes the filter intake pipe/grate can cause damage to the fins if your betta gets to close and then fins get sucked in.What temperature do you keep the tank? how often do you perform water changes and what percent of water do you change? What type of algae?Did you perform a water change before adding the new fish to the tank? Did the other betta show any other signs of illness besides losing his fins?How are the other fish acting/looking?

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 07-04-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote