Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #1 
celine18

Angry Why do people think fish dont like swimming?!?!?!?!

so i came to babysitting today, and, out of the corner of my eye, i see a cup, with a fish net in it. i think "oh god, they got a fish". they 6/7 year old boy had been talking for awhile how he wanted fish. so i immediately run around, looking for a tank. i run all over the house, and can't find one. then i come back in the kitchen, and there, on the counter, is this little THING. i look in it, and it's split, with 2 fish. one of which is dead, and growing white fungus looking stuff.

i knew this would happen if they let this child have fish. i mean, this "tank" isn't big enough to keep an ant in!!! GRAAAHHHHH!!!

and i talked with the boy, and he "changed the water" yesterday, AND DIDN'T PUT DECHLORINATOR IN IT!!!!!! no wonder the poor thing kicked the bucket!!!!!!

and i just talked to the mother and insisted that she get a larger tank!!!! and heater!!!!! ugh. we'll see if it happens.

i'm off to clean the water (which is white and cloudy.). rant over.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #2 
Luimeril

that tank..... is about the size of the Kritter Keeper i keep my Marimo balls in. .____. that's ALL that will EVER go in a tank that size.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #3 
CyerRyn

Ugh! I would only get one of those for a QT tank. My son wanted a fish and he's 7yrs old so I got him his first one. I take care of the fish though... the parent/s of that child should have researched it. I did "some" research when I got my son's Betta, though the information I got was wrong I still understood enough of the basics that his fish lived for 5mo and was happy before I happened onto these forums. Poor fishies. :<
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #4 
Tisia

when I got Sven, there was a mom letting her 6ish and 8ish year old kids pick out bettas, made me sad since I figured they wouldn't have very long lives ahead of them, and one of them I had actually been considering getting myself >_<
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #5 
roadrunner

Unfortunately it is society we live in. Kid wants a fish, kid gets a fish. Parents secretly think "thank godness he/she did not ask for a dog!" My previous coworker bought a betta for her grandson (4-5 at the time). Couple of days later she is telling me that fish is gone. Her grandson dropped the penny in the water so "fish can sleep on it" What a great idea to teach your kids! I never told her, they usually have guarantee for few days so she can go get new fish.....
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

I can honestly say I was the only kid I knew who kept my goldfish in a filtered tank and did regular waterchanges....I was 7 however and didn't know jack about goldfish and the poor thing never grew and lived for three years....Least it lived longer then the other ones in my care. T-T; I didn't make that mistake with my betta's.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #7 
celine18

i wouldn't even use it for a qt tank!!!! it's rediculously small!!! and has no heater!!!!!!!!

i have left them a 3 page long betta fish care manual. and it just irritates me, cause i know, after a month, he's going to be tired of fish, and the parents are going to take care of it! uuughhh!!!!
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

I think a lot of it comes from the fact that these death traps are made and sold in the first place. People don't even think to do outside research because these things are sold and marketed as ideal betta homes. Implicit is the logic that"if it's made for bettas, it must be safe for them." Sadly people have too much trust in companies and believe their marketing rhetoric.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #9 
tangisbeast

Unhappy

that is wrong nobody should treat a wonderful fish like that and if you dont clean the tank properly of course their going to DIE!!!
tangisbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #10 
Gnome507

Poor guys!
Gnome507 is offline   Reply With Quote