Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #1 
metalbetta

Inflamed Gill (Photos)

So, with the rest of the population of this forum I took a trip to petsmart and brought home a beautiful HMPK boy. However he seems to have a little bit of a gill issue. One sticks out a little more than the other... Upon a closer look, I noticed the infected one looked pretty bad. So I took pictures.
I've only had him for a day, but I have him in a 10 gallon and heated. Photos... Just took these a minute ago:

Here's the healthy gill:

And the inflamed one:

Treatment suggestions? Anyone seen this before?
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:10 AM   #2 
bettaloverforever16

I would try AQ salt (One teaspoon (I think) per gallon) and hope it clears up, I'm the not most expeiranced in injuries but I know AQ salt is for injuires or wounds so maybe it'l help.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Wow, that last pic didn't look so good. Yeah, definitely try AQ salt. It IS 1 tsp per gallon. Keep him warm and try not to let him flare for a while. I'd say he had an ammonia burn but from what I'm hearing, Petsmart is taking extra special care of the PKs and HMs so maybe it's an infection like you said.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #4 
metalbetta

It just reminds me of pus, so I think "infection"... I'll try some AQ salt. He's got my 50W heater in there so he's nice and toasty. It's hard for this guy NOT to flare! I think I'll keep his light off for a few days though.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Hehe, "RuPaul" has to flare to prove he's still a guy even if he has lipstick. He looks super healthy otherwise, just that one gill problem. I hope AQ salt clears it up.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #6 
metalbetta

I hope so too. He's zooming around the 10 gallon like a crazy boy as we speak, I think he'll be okay. lol
Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Definitely keep us all posted.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #8 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
I hope so too. He's zooming around the 10 gallon like a crazy boy as we speak, I think he'll be okay. lol
I know what you mean, i had my hmpk in my 1 gal QT for a day just to get my old 5.5 cleaned up and he was flying around crazy bouncing off the tank, he is still a spaz in the 5.5. could this be a common trait for them? and i hope he gets better, that last pic looked un-real. I'll have to keep a close eye on my guy to see if there are issues,
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Hehe, they're just happy to have some space finally.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #10 
metalbetta

I'll have to shoot OFL a PM unless she browses by before I do, maybe she could tell me what the heck this is! I've had gill issues with my fish before, but they've only stuck out and been much more red. I've never seen white in a live fish's gills before.