Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #1 
Patriotsmom

Gray cheeks?

My betta is all red and beautiful but I noticed this morning that he has some gray spots on his cheeks. I'm pretty sure they are getting bigger and I didn't notce them when he was bought yesterday. What is going on with my Patriot, should I bring him back to the store? I don't want to but I'm worried I got a sick fish :(
Patriotsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #2 
CyerRyn

It would be helpful if you can get pictures of these gray spots and fill out this:

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Maybe we can figure out if it's just the way his cheeks are or if he really is sick.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #3 
Patriotsmom

I only bought Patriot yesterday, he is fairly small still so I don't think he is too old. He is thin but eats very well, like a pig! I know better then to over feed him, at least I don't think I am ... He gets two pellets in the morning and two pellets in the evening. He gobbles them right down within seconds!! He does swim quite a bit but seems to like to poke at the marbles in his tank-whats up with that? Tank is 1 gallon, only got him yesterday so the water is just 1 day old. I plan on cleaning it once a week.
He is an only fish, no friends in the tank. He left them all at the pet store. It's a very basic tank, nothing fancy like a heater etc. Just plastic walls and some red, white and blue marbles.
Not sure if he had the gray spots on his cheeks when I brought him home, only noticed them this morning but also didn't study him yesterday.
Patriotsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #4 
CyerRyn

For a 1gal unfiltered tank you should be doing 1-50% change and 1-100% change each week to keep ammonia levels down and their water free of fishy poo/pee/and food. Are you using conditioner in his water? It's essential or he could die from the chlorine that comes from tap water. What is the temperature of his bowl?
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #5 
bettaloverforever16

Like Cyerryn said it would be helpful if you filled out the form, so we can see what kind of eviroment he lives in.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #6 
Sakura8

For a 1g, I suggest a water conditioner like API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime. Both will help neutralize ammonia as well.

It's possible the gray spots are ammonia burns from the water he had in his pet store cup. Keeping his water clean will help the burns heal. Also, the water conditioners I mentioned aid in healing too. Changing the water twice a week, 50% and 100%, is an absolute minimum for a 1g tank. Changing it every other day or every two days would be even better.

You might want to get your little buddy some plants and a little hidey hole, too. Bettas love plants and a tall one would be welcomed by him because he can sleep on it near the surface. Hiding holes are good too because a betta will be more confident if he knows he can hide when he's scared. You can even take an old coffee mug, clean it really well with warm water, and tip it on its side. If you get fake plants, make sure they aren't spiky so they don't catch his tail.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #7 
laughing

I hope this isn't considered hi-jacking, but Julep has this problem too! And he scares me like this a bunch, so I am trying not to get freaked out. I know for a fact he didn't have this when I bought him, seeing I bought him almost 2 months ago. It is just now developing... I will post his stuff to compare and see if we have anything in common that perhaps is causing this??

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but only partially ran as he isn't a strong swimmer.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Doesn't need to be, it is always warmer than 82*, and peaks at 90*. (Never fluctuates too fast, though.)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms, BioGold pellets, used to feed live fruit flies.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once morning, once night. Regularly fast a day or two here and there.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day to every 2-3 days, depending on my schedule. Never longer than that, though.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%, regularly 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? De-chlorinater, pH tabs.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

My testing kit ran out, will have to go by PetSmart tomorrow.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gray cheeks!
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? N/A
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would think about 6 months old?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #8 
laughing

Also, it doesn't not fade and come back. It has just appeared and stayed.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Are the spots shiny or iridescent? A lot of bettas have these spots on their cheeks naturally, too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #10 
laughing

It looks like soft smudges of soot. It's very light, and not shiny at all.