Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #1 
Independence52

Smile My Betta Bowl!

This is Idependence's bowl. I included a picture of some things around it that really attract his attention, like the food, and the dragon figurine. Due to camera-flash, you cant see the light that shines from the top of the tank. This light gives off simple light color, along with red, green, and blue. It also pulsates different colors, and dims and re-brightens on other settings. He seems happy in it, and I have a little dragons egg(not real) that I might put in for his entertainment, to avoid fin biting. Give me your comments and tell me if I can improve his current home in any way.

Independence52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #2 
laughing

Filter, heater, and decorations are your basic.

First, get a thermometer. Then for a week monitor every few hours (even at night!) what the temp is. If it ever gets below 76*, you should seriously look into getting a heater. Thermometers are $2 at WalMart. Heaters you're looking at about $15.

Filters are always good for bettas. The only thing with this is you'll have to see about baffling many filters out there. Or, find a filter with a control valve so you can control the flow. Basic sponge filters can be about $5, but usualy you're looking at $10. This isn't super important as long as you do regular, consistant water changes!

Decorations your betta will appreciate. It will keep him less stressed which will keep him healthy. Plus, without decor, they get very upset and "clamped". You'll see your betta be happier and more active with them! This can be anything, even a simple mug.

How big is that bowl??
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #3 
Independence52

The bowl is small, but compared to his last home, its paradise.

I got some simple decor he might enjoy, but I must clean them first.

Im already in the process of his weekly water change. I just did it a couple of hours ago, and might do it again before I begin my daily errands.

As far as heaters go, I can afford one. Its hot in my room though, so heat shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #4 
laughing

For many forum members they don't need heaters only in the winter time, that's why I suggested a thermometer to monitor temps FIRST before you splurge! ^^

Depending on how large it is, you may need WAY more water changes than that, especially without a filter. If it is say a gallon, you'll need daily 100% water changes. 1.5 gallons you can do 50% one day, 100% the next. If it is 2 gallons, do 50%, skip a day, 100%, skip a day, etc. The marbles will really help you out with this! I bought a 5gallon bucket from my local hardware store for $3 I think. I just siphon out the water with an aquarium vacuum, then dump the substrate into a strainer, rinse, wipe the inside with a paper towel, and put everything back.

Ony my (2) 2.5 gallons it takes me less than 15 minutes to do water changes on them. It is pretty dang simple!

You should post pics once it is decorated! In case you haven't noticed, we loooove pictures!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #5 
Independence52

I got the cleaning down, and I figured maybe 2-5 water changes a week should keep him healthy, I hope.

I was gonna wash ALL of the decorations during his next water change. I'll be more than happy to post a picture or two of his new home.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Miss I really think you should listen to them. A heater plus a bigger tank (You can get a clear cookie jar and use it as a tank I have two and they hold 3 gallons of heated water.) Will perk up Independance I swear on it. Plus some live plants and hiding places will keep him from getting bored.

Don't let him get bored. My betta's tail had to pay for me not making his tank interesting. Betta + Boredom = Tailbiting.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote