Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #1 
AliciaH

Question tank cycle - too much ammonia?

I am cycling a 5 gallon tank using raw shrimp and a few live plants. The ammonia is way off the chart... over 8.0 ppm. The nitrites are rappidly climbing, but I wonder if there is much more ammonia from the shrimp then is needed? I have not done any water changes at all since there are no fish... I am wondering how much ammonia the plants can handle or if I should just leave it alone?
AliciaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I would still do water changes myself, but if your nitrites are climbing, your ammonia should be dropping. My Ammonia hit 0 in my 29g when my nitrites went up. Hrrmmm, you're still doing a fish in only using shrimp. I would do water changes as normal.

Oh and shake the crap out of your Ammonia testers. They are known to settle and give false readings even if left for hours to settle.

That sucks. My tanks never went over 1ppm when they cycled!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 
AliciaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I would still do water changes myself, but if your nitrites are climbing, your ammonia should be dropping. My Ammonia hit 0 in my 29g when my nitrites went up. Hrrmmm, you're still doing a fish in only using shrimp. I would do water changes as normal.

Oh and shake the crap out of your Ammonia testers. They are known to settle and give false readings even if left for hours to settle.

That sucks. My tanks never went over 1ppm when they cycled!

No, no fish in there now!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

What I meant is there is something live in your tank producing ammonia, like 'fish in' cycling. You are not artificially adding ammonia lol

I never had live plants in my tank either, which is supposed to help.

Do you have anyone who can give you some filter gunk from their healthy established tank?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 
AliciaH

I probably should have mentioned that I am using an old filter from an established tank as well as some of the gravel ...

I am just not sure how much ammonia the plants can handle
Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Wow, your ammonia is REALLY high then. I have no advice, I know a little about cycling but amount that high are out of my league lol You have everything that should make your tank cycle pretty quick. Hope someone chimes in here!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #7 
AliciaH

Thanks for your thoughts! The shrimp was getting pretty funky and growing lots of slime on the nylon its in... so I ended up changing the shrimp to some fresh raw shrimp, and in sucking out all the slime I ended up doing about a 20% water change...
Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Maybe doing 20% every 2.3 days will help you, that's what I was doing. I had a fish in cycle though (I knowwww, silly pleco wouldn't come out so I left him in) and mine cycled in 3 weeks. I had my running filter from my 10gal. Sounds like we're doing to the same thing, I just changed my water more often. Very confusing!

How long has it been cycling?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #9 
AliciaH

this is only day 4, which I was surprised at seeing the nitrites going up already...
Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Yup, now I'm really confused. I never has nitrites until 2weeks in and only because I filled my tank with goldfish sludge from a filter lol

Where are the experts???