Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #1 
riese98

Question something wrong

it looks like my betta is losing part of his top fin, i did some research and it said it could be stress, so i started thinking, why does my fish have stress and i thought about my cats witch like to attack him i try stopping them by putting a rock on the lid of the tank that slows them down quit a bit. and some people say that it is fin rot or fin loss so i heard that some people put salt in the tank is that just normal eating salt or is it different?
riese98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

The salt people put in tanks is Aquarium salt, not very expensive at all. I bought mine at WalMart, very simple to find here.

No advice on your boys fins though, I'm learning myself
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #3 
riese98

sadly there aren't any walmarts here. and the closest pet store is a 5 hour trip away.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Fish maaayyyy not be the thing for you then, you need a store close by for supplies. Are you able to make a 5 hour trip at 7am because you need meds and your fish is dying at home? Just something to think about :)

Are you able to buy online?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #5 
CyerRyn

You can't use regular table salt because it has additives in it that could be extremely bad and/or lethal to your fish. I heard of some ppl using Kosher Salt as long as there's no additives and anti-caking agents in it. Pls don't take that as fact though as I always use Aquarium Salt since it's 100% safe for fish, was just thinking of an alternative for you since you say theres no walmarts or fish stores near by. If you can get a picture of the fin damage it might help us help you determine exactly what is going on and the treatment you should be following to help him feel better.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #6 
riese98

ok thanks guys how about Epson salt?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #7 
CyerRyn

I think epsom salt is used to help bloating.. not too sure about repairing fin damage.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #8 
riese98

ok i'll look around for that.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a clear pic of his fins,

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, filter, live plants, tank mates, appetite, how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated-if so, explain...any other signs/symptoms or behavior changes.....

Just because a person lives a long ways from a fish shop or even a store in general....is not a good reason to not keep fish....everyone should keep tropical fish or aquariums if that is the hobby they enjoy and want to be a part of regardless of their location......often you can find most things needed to keep and care for sick fish right in your house or out in your yard....

For fin issue. sodium chloride is what you are looking for.....pickling salt, aquarium salt, kosher salt...etc.....it can come from a grocery store...what you want to avoid is the anti-caking ingredients in the salt you normally use on your food....this can be toxic to the fish...dose at 1tsp/gal for 10 days

Magnesium sulfate or Epsom salt-this also can help with fin rot issues but you need to start off with a little higher dose 2tsp/gal and can be used long term

Both sodium chloride and magnesium sulfate have antibacterial/fungal properties that will help

Tannins from either IAL (Indian almond leaf) or what I like to use...native, naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf- about 10-12 crushed/gallon....these tannins also have antibacterial/fungal properties that help and the added benefit that can help stress, lowers pH slightly, tans the water a nice amber color that mimics the Bettas native habitat.......

By pre-mixing the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-this will help make the needed 100% daily water changes and correct dosage of salts easier and this gives the tannin source more time to steep-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it....each day more tannins are released so when you make that very important part of the treatment...daily-100% water change...you will increase the tannins dose........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #10 
riese98

so epson salt will work for my betta?