Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #1 
Petunia87

Tear in Pectoral Fin, please help I'm worried about my girl

Not sure what I should be doing to help my little girl out. I noticed tonight during feeding that her left pectoral fin was tore. The right one is totally fine. A few days ago it looked like it was bright red in a perfect circle in the middle of the fin (from the best I could see, they are rather tiny fins). That was probably 4-5 days ago. It went away on its own but tonight when I went to feed I noticed that she was missing the part of her fin where that red area had been. None of her other fins are damanged at all and the spot missing almost looks like someone cut out the middle of it. The edges are still completly fine. As I said, none of the other fins have any issues and all look perfectly fine.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets and Freezedried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day, once a week fasting day and 2 bloodworms once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Water Conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment (see above)
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Besides her pectoral fin nothing has changed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 hours ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? A little over a year
Petunia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #2 
Sakura8

She might have caught it on something or it had a bit of an ammonia burn on it. Keep her water extra clean because now that it is torn, it is open to infection like fin rot and clean water is the best way to prevent that. You can also switch your water conditioner to something API Stress Coat that has aloe vera, which helps fish heal from injuries. Also, for a 5g, you probably want to do two water changes a week, one 50% and one 100% with gravel vacuuming.

I'm glad she seems okay otherwise but keep us posted and let us know if anything changes with her.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #3 
Petunia87

I thought for a cycled tank you were never supposed to do a 100% water change?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #4 
Sakura8

You're right, Petunia, thanks for pointing that out to me. If it's cycled, then two 50% changes a week.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #5 
Petunia87

Updated as far as what I did today.

Got some API stresscoat and did a 50% water change using the stress coat instead of my normal Betta water conditioner. I am planning on doing another 50% water change tomorrow night. Then here comes to problem. I am going out of town for a funeral and won't be home until Sat (will be away from betta Wed-Sat). The boyfriend will be taking care of her but I'm not sure what instructions to give him. She is still in her 5 gallon tank and the 1 pectoral fin seems to be the only one with any damage to it. She looks totally normal other than that. Should I add a tablespoon of Aquariam Salt to her tank and then just let her be for the 4 days until I get home (besides feeding of course). Should I not add the salt and just keep her normal? Should I have him continue the 50% water changes and add/not add salt. Should I go back to my normal declor or continue to use stresscoat? Any help would be greatly appriciated considering I am already nervous to leave her alone with a torn little fin :(
Thank so much!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #6 
Sakura8

First of all, how much experience does your boyfriend have with fish, changing water etc? If he doesn't have any, it would be safer to just leave her be until you get back. Feed her well a few days before you leave, change the water the night before using Stress Coat, then fast her until you return; do another water change when you get back. If her fin has not healed much by then, you can resume the AQ salt/50% water changes. If your boyfriend knows fish and you feel comfortable with the idea, have him continue the AQ salt/Stress Coat/50% water changes while you're gone.