Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 
Christie87

boy or girl?

Im new here so please be kinda gentle with me...

The other week i saw female fighting fish living together in about 2L of water and having wanted to start a fish tank i asked the lady if they could live together. She said they could so i bought them. I bought a 21L tank and i bought some decorations and took them home. A few days later one of the girls got sick and i found that she had swim bladder problems. so i isolated her and left her. I went to an actual aquarium place that told me that she would most likely die in a week. Well its been over a week and she looks healthy again. So i wanted to put her back in with the girls. I changed the decorations around and then put her into the tank. i then put the other girls back in. But now im looking at the other girls and the "sick" one (not sick now) and im not sure that she is in fact a she. lol. She's not trying to kill the others or anything but if the otehr girls go near her she flares and if they dont move she nips them. but shes not seeking a fight or anything. I cant see an obvious egg spot like the other girls so now im worried that i in fact have a male not a female.
help is it a girl or boy?
Christie
Attached Images

Christie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Christie and welcome to the forum. First, have you looked at your betta from underneath? Put her in a clear cup and hold it over your head. Her eggspot should be right between her ventral fins, or the long fins that hang down. Usually from this view it is pretty obvious unless she's very young and small.

Based on what you're saying and what I see in the pics, though, I tend to think she is a female, just a more passive-aggressive female who likes her personal space. Some betta girls will actively chase others around, others will hide, and other girls will mind their own business unless someone gets too close.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

I think its a boy. In the pic where he's flaring, he has a beard.. Females don't have those... Also he has manly features lol!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #4 
Abby

personally im thinking young male the head beard and the ventrals
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #5 
Christie87

Thanks guys... the more i look the more i think its a male. I still cant see a white spot like the girls (the girls i can see the white spot at least an arms length away whereas im struggling to see anything with this one). I thought that if he was male though he would be very aggressive to the females in the tank?. Where he/she isnt being overly aggressive. The occasional flare when a girls gets too close and if they dont move a nip. but no chasing and no big interest in where they are either.
Christie
Christie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #6 
Abby

You may find that sometimes a male wont be very aggressive while still young and this is actually a common thing buying a female and it actually turning out to be male lol
Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Beard, beard . . . didn't notice that. I have trouble telling when it's just gill cover and when it's beard. You think maybe he's a plakat?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

He does look very plakat like doesn't he?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #9 
Abby

that would be my guess
Old 07-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Male...he is slim, has stonger gill plates, flares out more, longer ventrals. Young wild type male.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote