Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #1 
phillyfarmgurl

Happy betta is happy

Hey everybody, just wanted to give a quick update:

Corey is doing fantastic! (cannot believe I have had him a week already) He loves his new home, and the water parameters have been so steady. He seems to like the tank 79-80, so I don't let it out of that range. Got him to flare at himself twice today. He plumped himself up so big! And he has learned to eat off my fingers...and play "scare the mommy". I swear he does it on purpose. He'll float right side up on the top of the tank, and make me freak out. I think there's something wrong with him, and I'll take the tank lid off. Once the lid comes off, he snaps out of it, and swims around like nothing happened. And I know there isn't anything actually wrong with him, because he only does it if I forget to say hello when I walk in the room, lol. And boy does he love his food! He gets New Life Spectrum Thera + A, 2 soaked pellets in AM, and 2 more soaked pellets in PM. He'll also get 1 bloodworm/baby shrimp in place of PM feeding a couple times a week.

And now, what you all have been waiting for, pictures!:

phillyfarmgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #2 
Minxies

D'awwwww, He's really pretty~ and I'm glad he's gotten so big. :3
That's adorable that he plays "Scares the Mommy" (Got me to giggle)
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #3 
rswfire

He's beautiful! And your post is hilarious! I laughed out loud over the scare the mommy bit...
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #4 
phillyfarmgurl

thanks, he is such a ham. I did notice, however, that his swim bladder protrudes a little. It does not seem to bug him any, and he still swims fine. Could it have to do with him being a Double Tail? Should I be concerned, and how can I fix it?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #5 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfarmgurl View Post
thanks, he is such a ham. I did notice, however, that his swim bladder protrudes a little. It does not seem to bug him any, and he still swims fine. Could it have to do with him being a Double Tail? Should I be concerned, and how can I fix it?
I have no experience with this, but this article seemed reliable:

Bettas * Fish Illness: Swim Bladder Disorder and Constipation

It says that most swim bladder disorders are due to constipation, but it lists other causes and methods of treatment.

It even has a section for bettas with a chronic condition of SBD and the best ways to care for them.

Last edited by rswfire; 07-05-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added Last Sentence
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 
scootshoot

Tank looks awesome! Your boy sounds like he likes to float near the surface when he resting, can't blame em as it's easier to get a gulp of fresh air. Make it easier for him and get a tall plant or floater.

Here is my boy sitting atop his plant. He rests here all the time when I am playing a game on the computer. I think the flashing pics on the screen gets his attention like he watching a movie,

Name:  SAM_0352.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  39.5 KB
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #7 
phillyfarmgurl

Well, I now have him in the cup he came in as a QT bowl. It's stuck to the inside the tank so the water can stay a constant temp. Added 1 tsp of Epsom salt to a 1 gallon jug o clean, warm, dechlorinated water and that's what's in the cup. Hopefully with a daily water change and a fast for a couple days shall put him right again. He's already a little less puffed out, but I don't think treating him anyway can hurt.

rswfire- thank you for the link, it helped a bunch.

scootshoot- that is a neat setup, Corey likes to hang out on top of the submerged filter :)
Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #8 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfarmgurl View Post
Well, I now have him in the cup he came in as a QT bowl. It's stuck to the inside the tank so the water can stay a constant temp. Added 1 tsp of Epsom salt to a 1 gallon jug o clean, warm, dechlorinated water and that's what's in the cup. Hopefully with a daily water change and a fast for a couple days shall put him right again. He's already a little less puffed out, but I don't think treating him anyway can hurt.
Sounds like you're taking perfect care of him.

I'd try the pea thing too after a few days. Not much different than humans drinking cranberry juice when they get a urinary tract infection. It could be good for him.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #9 
Rhapsodie

He's beautiful and it sounds like he's in some awesome hands- aka yours! With how you're caring for him, I'm sure he'll be better (bettah?) in no time!
Haha, the "Scare the Mommy" act sounds familiar- I had one who did the exact same thing a few years ago! He would stay still until he saw me grab the food container, go figure. I love how these fish have such amazing personalities!
Rhapsodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #10 
Neil D

^+1
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote