Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 
N03113

Marineland Eclipse System 3 Aquarium

Has anyone used this?

I'm considering getting it.

http://www.petco.com/product/4598/Ma...-Aquarium.aspx
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 
Creat

I used one, I liked it except that I feel that eclipse tanks are overpriced, but they do work really nice never had an issue with the filter or light..although it was a little hard to get a heater in... The only thing I had against it was it was acrylic and I am a glass guru :p
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

I have/had one (not using it currently) and it's a nice little kit. I really love the filter.

The only big con for me was that I needed to lift the entire hood to feed. The back opening should be bigger or include a small front opening as well.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #4 
N03113

yuck, so the feeding thing is in the back? or it just doesn't have one?

What about water changes... is the top easy to open?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #5 
Creat

You really have to take the whole top off to do it... it has this little flap that opens more over the filter then anything else.... dont know who designed that
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #6 
hmboyz

for that price, I prefer getting the 5 gallon hex tank or the 5 gallon corner eclipse kit.
hmboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #7 
Waterbottle2

got one for my mom and we love it! but we ogt it on sale, the 5g hexes or on sale atm though,...might wnana check em out, the 3gs are all sold out where i live :(
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #8 
Thunderloon

I REALLY REALLY REALLY love the marineland 5 gallon hex tank.
It uses the same filter system as the 3 but has a screw-in socket for the light and is a really nice ratio of height and width.

The three gallon one I've had to disable and remove the fluorescent light in because it overheats and melts the plastic casing. Most people haven't had this problem but it does occur.

On these bio-wheel tanks when you set them up to cycle them, don't have the filter card in the tank. Let the water just flow over the bio-wheel for a while. Once the bio-wheel is "wetted" and slows down you can do your fish-in or fishless cycles. If you put the filter card back in too soon you grow bacteria on it instead of the wheel.

There is a small gap that you can drop pellets through between the filter and the front of the top opening, you gotta sort-of toss them towards the front and be off to the side of the mid-spar in there.

As far as quality of construction, clarity, shape, filtration or light power I'm exceptionally happy with the 3... its just kinda small. Betta will get big enough to want five gallons.

The filter card for both the 3 and 5g are sold at walmart "aqua-tech" brand.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #9 
N03113

I just bought the 3 gallon.. going to have it mailed to my office. Thanks for the great advice!