Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #1 
RnB

Thinking of Adding a African Dwarf Frog

We are thinking of adding an african dwarf frog to Fabio's tank. He has a 5 gallon set up, and a single cave, along with several plants to hide in/around. Is this enough space for a Dwarf frog? Should We Get 2? I heard they are happier in pairs, do we have enough room in a 5 gallon tank with a male betta?

What else should we be taking into consideration?

Thanks!
RnB
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #2 
Serafina

I have 2 ADFs with my betta in about the same size aquarium. They are doing well and generally leave each other alone. Last feeding my betta, Peter, ended up at the opposite end of a bloodworm from one of my frogs. They worked it out without a lot of fuss. I love my frogs :) I haven't had them for very long, so I might not be the best person to get advice from. I don't have any regrets at this point. I do believe they are social and like to be around their own kind. I think the key is making sure that everybody is eating enough.

Sarah
Serafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 
RobertTheFish

I'll be trying it soon. I hear feeding is the only tricky part.

I'm hoping to distract the betta girls with floating food while I sink pre-soaked sinking food down to the frogs.

Wish me luck.
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 
Serafina

One thing that my store informed me of was that my frogs could be Salmonella carriers. Here's a link to the CDC information page. http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/water-...011/index.html

If you have small children or immune compromised people living with you, you have to be especially careful with them.

I love mine, so I'm not discouraging you to get them. Just be aware :)
Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #5 
RobertTheFish

Hey, thank you for the reminder. I kept snakes for several years and was aware of salmonella problems and just took precautions. I never really thought about it with ADFs.

I have a 2 year old daughter who lives with us and is very interested in the fish (she knows all their names even).

I really really appreciate the reminder and I think I'll wait on any more reptiles or amphibians in the house until she is old enough to keep her fingers out of her mouth. I would hate to have to keep her away from the tanks all the time. She's more interested in the fish than my wife is, so it's nice to be able to share the hobby with somebody.
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #6 
Serafina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTheFish View Post
Hey, thank you for the reminder. I kept snakes for several years and was aware of salmonella problems and just took precautions. I never really thought about it with ADFs.

I have a 2 year old daughter who lives with us and is very interested in the fish (she knows all their names even).

I really really appreciate the reminder and I think I'll wait on any more reptiles or amphibians in the house until she is old enough to keep her fingers out of her mouth. I would hate to have to keep her away from the tanks all the time. She's more interested in the fish than my wife is, so it's nice to be able to share the hobby with somebody.
Oh good. I'm glad I posted the link then :) I'm glad she enjoys the fish. That has to be fun.

Best,

Sarah
Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #7 
RnB

So we got an ADF today on a impulse, his bag is floating next to Fabio's (Our male Betta) QT in the new tank acclimating. Should we keep the new Frog in a QT for a while? How should we incorporate the two into their new tank?

Is there anything we need to look out for? Advice~!
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #8 
newbie32

You should probably QT him for awhile to make sure he isn't sick or anything. I must confess, I don't know much about ADFs, but that is always a good idea for fish and plants. Then, when you're ready, I guess you can slowly acclimate the ADF to the water and then let him into the tank. Then you need to hope for the best! I'm guessing your betta will be quite curious about his new tankmate. Keep a close eye out that they aren't attacking each other.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote