Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #1 
PhilipPhish

Tetras....

So I'm thinking about buying some Neon Tetra from my LFS, but I need more info on them and I thought I'd ask you guys.

Do they need filters?
What temp do they like?
Do I have to buy special foods for them?

Anything else I need to know?

I'm just curious. I really want to get one er 2 for my 1.5 gallon Aqueon. I have a male betta, Philip, and I've been trying to get friends to go with him.

He had a frog, but it died... He really likes having friends in there though, they keep him entertained while I'm away.

Anyway, thanks guys!

~S.Hill and The Boys
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #2 
betta dude

never had one i just have bettas only fish i will ever have
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Tetras need 10g minimum, a 1.5 is WAY TOO SMALL. Snails would be a better choice for your tank. Bettas do not get lonely. Neon tetras are also very sensitive fish.

For just a betta in a 1.5g, you need to be doing at least two water changes a week. If you arent, its why your frog died. :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #4 
PhilipPhish

I clean my fish tank every Monday and Friday...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #5 
vette91

they are great fish but they need to be kept in schools of atleast 6 or 8. 10 gallon minimum. Water temp 78-82 filtered yes. minimum 10 gallon.
if you do get a 20 gal to keep them(what i had) i kept 10 and 8 marbled hatchet. Very beautiful tank mates together.
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #6 
PhilipPhish

Alright! thanks guys!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette91 View Post
they are great fish but they need to be kept in schools of atleast 6 or 8. 10 gallon minimum. Water temp 78-82 filtered yes. minimum 10 gallon.
if you do get a 20 gal to keep them(what i had) i kept 10 and 8 marbled hatchet. Very beautiful tank mates together.
^^ Ditto that. I have Black Neon Tetra and Glowlight Tetras, all of which need larger tanks, tropical heating and tropical flakes.

Quote:
In the aquarium

While commercially bred neon tetras have adapted well to a wide range of water conditions, in the wild they inhabit very soft, acidic waters that are usually cooler than the 25 C (77 F) most tropical aquaria are maintained at.[2] They can have a lifespan of up to ten years, normally about five in an aquarium.
Neon tetras are considered easy to keep in a community aquarium that is at least 60 cm (24 inches), with a pH of 6.07.8 and KH of 1.02.0. However, they will die if traumatized by dramatic changes to their environment. They tend to be timid and, because of their small size, should not be kept with large or aggressive fish who may bully or simply eat them. Fish that mix well in an aquarium are other types of tetras, such as the rummy-nose tetra, cardinal tetra, and glowlight tetra, and other community fish that live well in an ideal tetra water condition. Mid-level feeders, they are best kept in schools of six or more, for the shoaling effect when they move around the tank. They shoal naturally in the wild and are thus happier, more brightly colored, and more active when kept as a shoal as opposed to singly. Their colour and the iridescent stripe may become dim at night, and can be virtually invisible after a period of darkness. The color may also fade during a period of stress, such as human intervention into the tank. Neons are best kept in a densely planted tank with subdued light and an ideal temperature of 2127 C (7081 F) to resemble their native Amazon environment.

Nutrition
Neon tetras are omnivores and will accept most flake foods, if sufficiently small, but should also have some small foods such as brine shrimp, daphnia, freeze-dried bloodworms, tubifex, which can be stuck to the side of the aquarium, and micro pellet food to supplement their diet. A tropical sinking pellet is ideal as most brands of these include natural color enhancers that bring out the color in neon tetras. Some frozen foods including frozen blood worms add variety to their diet.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote