Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Exclamation Plant Lighting Question.

I'm looking for a bulb for my 29 gallon tank to promote plant growth. I just recently replaced my bulb with the Aqueon daylight full spectrum tube, I just looked it up and it said it goes up to 8000K, but doesn't seem that bright. Will it do well for my plants? I do not have a plant substrate but lighting and liquid flourish fertilizer.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...0&pcatid=12850

I'm just confused why someone would buy a more expensive bulb that says 6500K when the one I have goes up to 8000K, or I am missing something?

Thanks for the help!

Also is this a good deal for both lights and a hood? Or are two bulbs necessary?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...8153&lmdn=Fish

Last edited by puppyrjjkm; 07-04-2011 at 10:07 PM.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

K rating has nothing to do with brightness. It tells you where the lamp peaks in the color range. Plants need light that peaks in the red & blue range and that would be in the 6500/6700 K lamps.

Not super "bright" per se, but you can easily see your tank, it does the job for the plants and, IMO, looks way more natural than a super bright light - which I happen to like. I mean, have you ever swam underwater with your eyes open & see super bright light? I sure have never seen that. :)

I have a dual tube fixture on my 38 gal. and like it. Personally, for a 10 gal. tank or so, no, I wouldn't spend the money. But that's up to you!

I see you have a 29 gal. Hmmm...... it would be nice, but it's really up to you how much you want to spend since they ARE a tad pricey. If you have strictly low light plants, I wouldn't THINK it's a "gotta have it" thing, but......

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

Last edited by Lion Mom; 07-05-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 
Lion Mom

BTW, if interested, here is the link to a whole long discussion about plant lights:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72215
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks, so is the 8000k light great for plants then? I just have the 6500K bulbs in my 10 gallon that are killer bright haha so that's why I was wondering.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
Thanks, so is the 8000k light great for plants then? I just have the 6500K bulbs in my 10 gallon that are killer bright haha so that's why I was wondering.
When I was looking for lights for my 38 gal. with plants, I had the same exact question. Another poster (cableguy) explained to me about the "color temps" and what the plants actually need. I also was going to purchase the 8000K, but after the discussion on the thread I posted the link to, decided to go with these 6500K bulbs:

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page...D/T12/F20T12-D

And I am so glad I did!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

WOW that helped a lot. Just one more question though. My Petsmart doesn't sell any 6500K lights but sell the coral-life 10,000K lights. So this is even better still, right? (Or I may still be confused haha). Nevermind went back to re-read the thread. I may end up having to buy one off foster & smith since I can't find one locally. :)

Also do you have a plant substrate in your tanks, or do you use just regular gravel then good lighting and fertilizer?

Last edited by puppyrjjkm; 07-06-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
WOW that helped a lot. Just one more question though. My Petsmart doesn't sell any 6500K lights but sell the coral-life 10,000K lights. So this is even better still, right? (Or I may still be confused haha). Nevermind went back to re-read the thread. I may end up having to buy one off foster & smith since I can't find one locally. :)

Also do you have a plant substrate in your tanks, or do you use just regular gravel then good lighting and fertilizer?
Just regular gravel & ferts. I am VERY low tech!

If you are going to order on-line, check out the link I put up for Light Bulbs Direct - you can find what you need there most likely and the cost is WAY less.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #8 
Tisia

you don't have to get the aquarium specific light bulbs, you can go to the lighting department at like wal mart or home depot or where ever and get bulbs there for usually a whole heck of a lot cheaper
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

thanks guys! I really appreciate it, and I'm quite excited to get started changing this tank over. Another lighting questions...

Do you have any experience with using color enhancing lights? We have had our 50 gal for about 8 yrs and never replaced the lights the kit came with!!!! So I was thinking just getting regular "full spectrum" lights but also saw the "Colormax" lights from Aqueon. Just not sure which I should get. Thanks