Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #11 
fightergirl2710

Ugh I hope their plumbing stops working and can't be fixed. I don't understand why people get pets when they obviously don't like animals! The geckos in our house drop their tails quite easily when you try to shoo them away and the wriggliness is pretty gross lol! I didn't know it was something they would rarely do.. I like most reptiles, turtles being an obvious fav and I find them quite friendly unlike what people usually say about them not having emotions and stuff. Even when you say she doesn't bite, what comes to mind is that all animals understand kindness and will always reciprocate it!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #12 
fishman12

Maybe you can take her to while you are in rehab!

And the kid was probably like "whatever, it's just a lizard"
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #13 
kathstew

Here's her poor tail :( It should grow back pretty good though, not as nice as it once was, but fairly OK.

She likes the camera!

Sorry, kinda blurry...

This one's cute

This is the tank she came with. Not even the right kind of tank, its WAYYY too tall. Leo's don't climb much, they like longer tanks. I'm saving my money to get her a proper tank. Pretty much everything she came with I had to get rid of, it wasn't right. I spent over $50.00 getting proper stuff for her, like a HEATER, and moist moss. This is her new set-up

Last one...

I'm gonna try and get some more with her tonight. Might try a few with the red light I got her, for an atmosphere thing :P
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #14 
laughing

I love Rottweilers, too. I am hoping it works out, but it wont unless I can find an apartment/house that will allow them ;( It will most likely be a male, and he will be used for conformation, agility, schutzhund, and therapy work right now. :D I am very excited for him, I have some amazing mentors who have helped me along.

Sugar Gliders are a blast, but they are on my 'next list'. Their cage is so large and they need such specific care that I cannot provide right now, but once I am settled I am definitely getting a few!

I would adore having a Leo! I love their cute faces :3 And I have heard they are an extremely friendly/social reptile.

SO CUTE! Her poor tail, though... I hope it grows back nicely for her, that is very upsetting ;(
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #15 
kathstew

Bluebettafish - I KNOW! That's how she said it! All non-chalant, like it was no big deal. It was stupid, I'm STILL angry about the whole thing, but thankful that I have her now.

Fightergirl, thats so funny, because they are having problems with their plumbing LOL! I agree, get a pet - then do research and actually take care of it! I've always wanted a reptile, but my mom doesn't like them alot. From a young age, I've loved them. Snakes especially, but geckos are cool too ;) Maybe its because the leopard geckos are pets and they can tell that they are cared for? I guess as long as you take care of them, and they aren't frightened they won't drop their tails. The longer they know you, probably the more confident they become around you as well.

Fishman - I wish! I don't think they'd let me, cause I'd have to feed her crickets LOL! I can just imagine me bringing a bag full of crickets with me! :P
He was though, and he's almost 17! You'd think he would have more responsibility than that. Pfft, disgusts me!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #16 
fishman12

Would a fish tank work? Petco has their dollar per gallon sale, maybe you could get one? The sale ends the 16th (July)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #17 
laughing

Yep! A 20 gallon long is $20 at PetCo right now and their screens are like $10, but then again you can always just make one yourself.

Whoaaaa, leos sex can be made by what temperature you incubate them... o_0
Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #18 
kathstew

Aww I hope it works out for you, laughing. I'm sure you would do great with the training with the rotti! Whats schutzhund though? LOL
I can just imagine a sugar gliders habitat! They are very active aren't they?
It should grow back pretty well, there may be slight deformities about it, but nothing too major hopefully! I'm gonna go take some more pics soon, and will probably post them tomorrow.

I live in Canada, so we don't have petcos unfortunately, so I'm very jealous of you guys! But I'm hopefully getting a $100.00 giftcard for my fav fish/reptile store from a contest I came 3rd in, so I'll get more stuff for her with that.

My friend just told me that last night! Freaky, eh? Its really interesting, but still weird. Nature comes up with strange things for sure...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #19 
laughing

Yeah, I am a very experienced trainer with even more professional trainers backing me up and a full agility GYM plus a schutzhund club, I am currently just trying to find a conformation mentor because I am a total newb at that! LOL!

Schutzhund was developed as a test for German Shepherd Dogs, but now many breeds are involved. It does obedience, tracking, and bite work. It is basically a temperament test, because what is involved in it will uncover a 'weak' or unstable dog very quickly. It is an intense sport that few breeds can successfully compete in. Google schutzhund, it is amazing! The dominators of the sport are still GSD, and Belgian Malanois (another favorite of mine!). Rottweilers tend to be less agile for the sport because of how thickly they are built. So now there is a 'working' line and a 'sport' line. Carting/weight pulling dogs are in the working group, agility and schutzhund are more for the sporting line. The difference is the working lines are stockier and more solid/thick, the sporting is much more lean and slimmer. I would love to do carting as well, but probably strictly for fun!

Sugar gliders are active and need to be outside their crates often because they like to jump and climb. Their cage needs to be at least 4 feet tall o_0

So basically Leos need at least a 10 gallon tank, a substrate not super fine for them to eat, a UTH on one side of the tank, some hidey holes and such, plus a low wattage light, and a calcium supplement?? Ok, now I am MORE ticked! 10 gallons are 10$, you can easily rip up newspaper, a UTH is like 15$, any desk lamp will do, and decor is cheap too... There is seriously no need to have such an inappropriate habitat! D:<

Plus they go to the bathroom in the same spot?! So there was NO time for someone once a week to lift up that substrate in that spot, toss it out, and put some back down?? Its not even like cleaning up after mice or something!

People these days...
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #20 
kathstew

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? LOL I saw a picture of you in the member pic thread, and you seem really young, but you said very mature and experienced :P

I want to be a vet one day, but I'd also like to dabble a bit in dog training. Its amazing what dogs can learn to do. Isn't conformation where judges look for dogs with best stance, and build for their breed as well as their walk, and stuff like that? I don't know a lot about dog training in that sense, with professional training...yet :P
Schutzhund sounds really cool. I know what you're talking about now that you've explained it. I find it really cool!
OMG, sugar gliders! I have a small house, so I can just imagine the poor things trying to climb around my house! LOL. They are really adorable though, so I think it would be worth getting them the space they'd need to have them! I hope you are able to get them relatively quickly!

I know, I know. The things they did to this poor gecko. The stuff it needs but didn't get, and they were so simple! For gods sake, a calcium supplement! ITS NOT THAT HARD. Sheezsh. She's getting some MAJOR loving the next few weeks so I can hopefully get her up to a relatively healthy state of living. That bathroom thing ticked me off as well. I could clearly see the poop was all in one corner. Its like "JUST PICK THAT UP. PICK THAT CORNER UP AND REPLACE IT". And even though they weren't using the right substrate, they had an unopened bag just laying around. Its like, you have it, so just use it and clean the stupid tank!