Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 
Citrusy

breeding for colors/type

what i have gathered is that i would need pure bred bettas to choose the type and colors the bettas will spawn. i have done lots of research. and also been told that breading pet store bettas is not the best idea either.

so whats needed to get the types of bettas i would like?

i would like dragon scale bettas if that helps.
Citrusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #2 
Abby

Try starting with a fish with either Clear dragon scale or DEFIANT dragon lines. I have 5 females and 2 mles from a red and black with white scale dragon vt (dad) and a super black HM, this threw SD, HM, comb tails and the colours ranged from metalic black and purple (my Ced) through to red and gold (my Fred) to a white that turned yellow ten gold and is now almost all black marble female.

If you WANT to throw dragon its best to start with a dragon pair, you can breed them then next spawn breed one dragon to say a GOOD quality HM or what tail you preferif you choose vt, its thats the main gene and will throw more vts then anything else)
eg:

My first breed will most likely be *UNLESS I pick something better up before hand*
Male 4 ray ct x giant XXXXXX maybe my female marble HM

they will throw a few tails and the colour will vary but the line will hold Marble dragon and CT
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #3 
Citrusy

ok so i do have a dragonscale halfmoon plakat. he has defined scales. looks very different then the other 5 bettas i do have

and the females i have is a bright blue VT, she is small. and is showing signs of having eggs. next female i have only had for a week is what looks like a Delta tail, and is all white with a tint of blue on tail fin

would those be great? and would what would come out as a result. from both the females with the dragon scale
Old 09-02-2011, 01:52 AM   #4 
Abby

VT will dominate the tail type and post some pictures and ill have a look see what i cant work out
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #5 
Citrusy

i don't have a pic of a girl atm, i can post the 2 girls at a later time.

heres the male dragon scale halfmoon...the best pic atm.

Last edited by Citrusy; 09-02-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #6 
trilobite

sinces hes a pk you will need to breed the siblings together or a daughter to the father if you use your VT or delta.

If i was you I'd breed your blue girl, you will probably get VT and deltas with thick blue scales thanks to the dragon influence, if you breed a daughter back to father you will not only get his tailtype back (Plakat but probably deltas and SD, maybe HM if your lucky) but you may get some dragons aswell since the daughter will be have dragon influence.

your other female sounds like she could be cellophane, although she would give you better finnage in F2 it will probably take longer to get dragon back...
Although this is just me guessing. I dont know for sure what youll get.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #7 
Citrusy

I bred the dragonscale and the blue VT before. But the day after the fry hatched he ate them. Ok so i think i will go with the VT female.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #8 
trilobite

Good luck on your spawn. Keep us updated, I wanna see how the fry turn out
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Could you take pictures of the female, specially the second one.

Drg x non drg would take you 2 - 3 generations to get drg. IMO blue is harder to "dragon" compared to white so I'd suggest you pair him to your white. Either way you should have non metallics, metallics, incomplete drg scales. If your white is metallic, you should have a few dragons (not full masked though).

Further your second female is DT, which should be easier to get HMPK. Unless you're going for HM which should be achieved from VT. But both may take a few generations before you come up with the desired HMPK dragon.

Good luck.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote