Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
rswfire

Is it possible to baffle a water filter too much?

Mine was still creating a little stream and Gizmo really doesn't like it -- he won't move around as much when that thing is on. So today I added an extra piece of aquarium sponge to the side of the outtake and I used black electrical tape and wrapped it several times around everything, haha... There's no stream now!! And he's happy again. I think it is still working because I can see little particles moving toward the intake. My guess is that I essentially just really slowed down the water filter because it has to push the water through the aquarium sponges. It might not cycle the tank as easily, but at least he has a water filter and a calm tank. Does anyone see an issue with this?
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #2 
rswfire

In case anyone ever comes across this post with the same question, the answer is YES! His water was getting pretty stagnant at the top (I could see little dust particles with the light on), so I had to adjust the baffle to make more current, and I removed the pre-filter from the intake valve. I'd rather he dealt with a current than suffer from poor water quality...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Ultimately, he'll be okay with the current as long as it's not a tidal wave. They either learn to enjoy it or they learn to avoid it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Yes, "deadspots" can cause algae sometimes. I baffled my 10 gallon really well..and then I got a wild case of hair algae...I took the baffle off for awhile and it cleared up.Of course bettas don't really need filters...but it does make water changes a bit easier on bigger tanks.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #5 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Yes, "deadspots" can cause algae sometimes. I baffled my 10 gallon really well..and then I got a wild case of hair algae...I took the baffle off for awhile and it cleared up.Of course bettas don't really need filters...but it does make water changes a bit easier on bigger tanks.
I hope hair algae is something you find in the tank and not your own hair! Omg, I couldn't deal with that, lol... My fishie hates that filter so much that he will puff at it for hours if there's a stream! He tries to scare off the filter, and he's really persistent about it, haha...
Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #6 
copperarabian

It sucks, my 15g's filter doesn't have a overflow so if I baffle it to much the water trickles out the top and makes a puddle :( at first I thought it was leaking lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baffle, water filter