Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #1 
lunawatsername

my sorority-almost there! (a couple questions and a lot of excitement!) xDD

so, i have been planning on having a sorority for a while now, and its almost time at last! :D i have been cycling my tank for a little over 2 weeks, and my nitrate level is around 20, my ammonia almost non existent. (my tank floor is a mess though... i used fish food to cycle, never again... -__- lol) so this weekend, its fish time!!! :D lol i think im going to go to petco to check the situation there (last time all the fish had columnaris.... it was really sad, apparently there was some cross-contamination from a new batch of goldfish? no idea how they managed that one...)
anyway, im thinking ill go in their and check things out, and if i see a few i like ill snatch them up. im also considering getting a few on aquabid, as nervous as i am about getting fish shipped to me, i think it would be worth it for some of the pretty little fish i see on there :)
anyway, im so excited!!! xDDD im finalizing my plans for how im going to introduce them. im thinking that im going to quarantine them for a week (first to make sure none of them have any issues i didnt spot right off, but also because i want to get to know their individual personalities before i put them together, so if they have a big personality change, i will know for sure.) i think im going to add 3 at first (i chose not to go one at a time because it will mean none of them can claim it as their own, hopefully cut down on aggression just a lil?) after the first group, i think ill add them 2 at a time, keeping an odd number in the tank at all times, and let them have like 10 minutes in between... not sure about that part yet though. is it better to give them time, because it seems like if i give them too much they would start claiming territory and would be more hostile to the newcomers? if anyone has any ideas on tat, im all ears :)
so for the week i have on quarantine, im thinking i will buy some mesh and some decent sized clear bowls from the dollar store, and wither just set up a fishbowl area im my room and put each betta in a bowl with mesh for a lid, and rotate them around occasionally so they get a good look at each other, or just float them all in the tank until they are ready to be put in. that would keep them at the perfect temp but i would be really afraid of one of them flipping over or something when im at work... plus, i still need to be able to get in to my tank to do some maintenance lol so i think i go with just setting aside my desk for them :) so during this week i will have them in their individual jars (no heaters, but i will keep my room at about 78F, so they should be ok for the week) which will have 100% water changes everyday. (the first day will be a very gradual water change, dont wanna shock them too much)

so probably forgot a couple things, but if you have any advise or comments id love to hear them! :d (and i will post pics as soon as i can, but my phone is all i ahve to take pics and its sorta on the frits right now... takes terrible pics anyway :/ lol)
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

I would add 5 or more all at the same time.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #3 
scootshoot

Shop around for the smallest female betta's as they have not matured yet, hence less aggressive and will be able to grow up together, getting accustomed to one another.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #4 
lunawatsername

5 or more? i think i might try that... it does seem to me like if you put alot at once, itll be harder for them to pick on someone, which would be nice.

oh yeah! i had heard that, ill definitely try to get young ones :)
Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #5 
lunawatsername

just thought i would update this thread, because i dont really want to make a whole new one for this. i ahve finally added all the females i got for my sorority! :DD their are now 10 females in the tank, i put them in a couple hours ago. so far so good! of course their have been a few nipped fins, and some stress stripes (though not as many of either as i was expecting) most of the fighting is between the same 4 fish, and i think the alpha will be one of those. my bet is either on Rani, a silverish halfmoon, and Maia, a white crowntail (she has a few red streaks on her tail) the funny thing is, she is tiny! just goes to show that you really never know who will come out on top Hecate and Bia were also in the running, but it seems like they have come out on bottom of that one (they are the one with little tears in their fins) hoping this goes well! :D
Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #6 
lunawatsername

this is the tank before i put the fish in it...

this is after! you can only see 6 of them here

5 more, even though eris is hiding behind bia lol

i thought this one was really cute :) its maia, athena and artemis.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #7 
lunawatsername

update: a few nipped fins here and there, but all in all it hasnt been bad. i fed them bloodworms a while ago (a lot of people said that was one of the more difficult foods to feed a sorority, because its harder to distribute) and other than a few tug-o-wars it was alright. Rani did look like she overate just a bit more than im comfortable with... ill have to find a way to make her stop being such a little piggy and i had to lure artemis to the surface and circle her with my finger while i fed her a couple worms, because shes shy and the others wouldnt play nice. (it was funny that she was shy of her fish friends, but my finger vortex of food was fine with her lol) but im happy with how its going so far it was so cute, i was trying to take a picture of four of them hanging out together and, as if they planned it, right before i took the picture they all darted off in completely different directions. xDD i also love that they play volleyball with the snails, it really is hilarious! and their getting pretty good, they kept one up between 4 of them for a good minute at least.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #8 
lunawatsername

just havin fun :)

unfortunately i was to slow to catch it, but they were playing with a snail a second before i took this lol

its my little ugly duckling! rare to see her out in the open, so i take advantage of it lol

my pretty girls :)