Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #1 
omgitslph

SBD treatments? (Help ASAP please.)

Alright I have my pride and joy, Lando Calfishian, in a 1 gal hospital with water changes every other day. I know he has SBD from constipation because he ALWAYS gets constipated no matter what I do. This is the first time he has gotten to the point he can't go to the bottom of the tank and I just feel awful. He was fine this afternoon and then when I get home, BAM he can't swim right. :(

I have a 10 gallon tank that sits at 80 degrees I can float him in if needed and a petsmart down the road to pick up daphnia (assuming they have it). I'll be pick up epsom salt tomorrow as well.

I accidently fed him part of a pea (idk how much he actually ate since he nibbled at it) before seeing NOT to feed him the pea. It has worked before so...I hope for the best, I guess?

Anyone else have suggestions? Lando Calfishian is my baby and I just want him to get better. :(

Thank you all for your help.
(I'll post pictures in the morning if needed)
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #2 
omgitslph

Bought the daphnia and epsom salt today. Started with 1 tsp/1 gal on that. Haven't fed him the daphnia yet because idk if I should even bother since he looks that bad. He hasn't eaten in days but bloated more once getting SBD. Any help would be appreciated. Not going to do anything more to his tank because I'm leaving for work right now.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #3 
omgitslph

So glad everyone is helping me here...

Anyways, came back from work and there was a pea-sized poop in his tank. It was a He still is bloated and I'm hoping someone can help with what to do next. I'm going to keep with the Epsom salt every day.

Here are some pictures

Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #4 
omgitslph

Took out his plants and cleaned up his tank for the day. Seems to be a bit better? Figured the nasty white bacteria could be something do to with this. :/
Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #5 
elijahfeathers

Oh my goodness, he looks like he must be uncomfortable. 8C

Aside form upping your water changes something, and maybe putting him in a smaller QT tank (like a cup), I think you're doing all you can. I'd def get that white stuff gone i fI were you.

Does he ever return to a non-bloated look between bouts of SBD? What sort of food do you normally feed him?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #6 
omgitslph

He was worse earlier until that massive pea sized poop. I thought he had a hole in his belly when it was actually his anus starting to let the poop out. x_x

Any difference as to why he should be in a cup instead of his 1 gallon? He's swimming around as much as he can on top instead of just laying there which is probably a good sign. He can right up himself up a bit even if he tries enough (and when he can't he props up on a leaf). I have some plastic plants for him to sit on now and he seems content in them. If needed I can move him into the 1 gal critter carrier to float in my 10 gal which is heated at 80.

I plan on feeding him some daphnia in the morning. Any idea of how much of a cube I should add of that stuff? Seems mighty large for just a betta. x_x
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Sorry, omgitslph, I just got here. Poor Lando (I'll pass by the total SW geek name for now ). First things first.

Generally, I find it's actually okay to feed pea as long as it's a very small amount, like the size of a fish pellet. Also, the best way to prepare the pea is as follows:
fresh or frozen NO SALT ADDED pea. Put one pea in boiling water for 2 minutes, then put it in ice water for 1 minute. Cut in half and take a small piece from the middle, a piece the size of a pellet. Feed that. You should be okay.

Secondly, that he pooped but is still bloated leads me to think he may have parasites. See if you can find Jungle Labs Anti-Bacterial or Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. Continue the epsom salt treatment and keeping him warm but see if the pellets will help. If he does not go down in size, it may be time to try medications.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #8 
Sakura8

The daphnia will dissolve really fast and make a mess, just to warn you. It's best to thaw one cube enough that you can pick out a small (pellet-size) bit to feed. You might want to use an eyedropper. Like I said, it gets everywhere. Feed only once a day, fast the rest of the time.

Also forgot to mention to lower the water levels in his QT container so he can reach the surface easier. You can move him to the gallon if it's easier to keep heated and you're sure he can reach the surface easy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #9 
elijahfeathers

I was thinking just for ease of changing the water with treated water, and conserving your salt. (eg a premixed 1 gal of those salts in a cup changed every day would last longer than the 1 gall with a w/change every other day.)
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #10 
omgitslph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Secondly, that he pooped but is still bloated leads me to think he may have parasites. See if you can find Jungle Labs Anti-Bacterial or Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. Continue the epsom salt treatment and keeping him warm but see if the pellets will help. If he does not go down in size, it may be time to try medications.
Poop wasn't white at all so maybe bacteria? Will petsmart have this jungle stuff? I never seem to find it whenever I look in the food section? :(

Also, can I feed both parasite and bacterial food to him? I want to nip this before I go on vacation next Thursday. :(