Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #1 
Minxies

Exclamation Betta VS Bubbles.

So, I posted a picture of my tank in another thread; If you'd like to see it again to fully understand what I'm talking about, here's the link. http://i53.tinypic.com/zyja6f.jpg

So. Pretty much; My tank is able to produce bubbles that rise up from the center of the tank, to the surface.
I don't usually like to keep them on, however since they make a LOT of movement on the water's surface, along side Aoi-Hiiro's filter, it makes for quite a bit of movement along the surface to where he has to dash to the top of the water to get a gulp of air and then swim back down.

I'll sometimes turn them on (for about an hour to two hours) to break the surface of the water a bit more rather than just the filter's soft little flow. Also; the bubbles help oxygenate his tank.
However.. Since I don't have them on a lot, I'll turn on the pump for a split second to let a small jet of air go through the tubes and to make a small stream of bubbles rise to the surface so my fish knows they're coming and wont spaz out too much.

I turned them on today after my warning and Aoi started to furiously swim near the top of his tank and it looked like he was either trying to attack, or eat the bubbles...I'm not sure which.
I can't overly tell if he's freaking out by them, or playing with them. (I'd like to think the latter of the two, but I don't wanna be wrong)

He doesn't flare at them as if he's threatened, and he doesn't show signs of stress (like staying at the bottom of his tank or hiding behind his plants)
In fact..He stays near the top as if looking for them. Again, not sure if he's looking for them to chase them again, or because he's being territorial and keeping an eye out.

What do you guys think?
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #2 
Rhapsodie

I would watch for some clamped fins- if he's stressed, that will be a pretty big indicator. Anyway, sounds like some good exercise if done in moderation!
Keep an eye out for any kind of stress signs (which you seem to be doing)- if you see any then you have your answer!
The rapid swimming does sound a bit odd, but I'm not really sure what to make of that, to be honest. Again, just watch him for any signs of those bubbles not being a toy for him.
Rhapsodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #3 
Minxies

Rhapsodie-- Thanks, and yeah. His fins still kinda flare out a bit like when he's normally swimming.

I turned them on again hesitantly last night and he didn't have the same reaction as he did before; he swam to the bottom of the tank and pretty much stayed there, so I left them off and didn't run them like I normally do.
I'll try again today when I come home from work, see if he'll allow it.
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #4 
Punki

You should be able to turn the air pump and weaken the current, my guy loved watching his bubbles, sometimes hed SLEEP with his chin on the guard, but mostly hed gaze up at them as if they were stars lol!

ooooh~ ahhh~
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Punki, was it Old Man who got caught in that tube the one time?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #6 
Punki

Yep, that is him up there, hed gaze at them all the time and eventually want to..Eat them? lol The pic was before the first attempt so theres no mesh XD
Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 
betta dude

Lol!!!
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Yep, that is him up there, hed gaze at them all the time and eventually want to..Eat them? lol The pic was before the first attempt so theres no mesh XD
Haha, wow, when you posted about that and his thrill-seeking habits I just naturally assumed it was a youngster who went up the tube. I never dreamed it was an old geezer betta. Old Man's still got some life in him, all right, no wonder he thinks he can still win over a young cutie like Electra. What a funny guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #9 
Punki

lol Yep, hes lazy but when i turn away he flies down tubes and surfs XD
Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #10 
bettaloverforever16

Lol my betta (He's old too) would do the exact same thing, I swear he's a little kukko in the head. XD
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote