Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #1 
namelessfish

Bought a tiny tiny betta, what to feed him?

Hi everyone. June 29th I bought a teensy tiny little betta at my local pet shop. Im fairly certain that he wasn't being fed at the petshop. During the first 5 or so days that I had him, he wouldn't eat the pellets and I didn't understand why. However, I got advice a few days ago and fed him bloodworms and he gobbled them up. I know that bloodworms aren't that nutritional and are only a "snack" ...but he's definitely not into pellets, he doesn't even acknowledge them. What should I feed him? There are no fish stores in my city and the pet shops have a limited selection, so what relatively easy-to-find fish food would such a young betta eat?
namelessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Are you feeding him freeze dried, live, or frozen blood worms?
If live or frozen, they can be used as a staple food. However young fish (depending on the age) can need special food. Don't suppose you have a picture you could post? Perhaps one of the breeders can help identify his age, and what he should be fed.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #3 
namelessfish

i think its freeze dried. here he is, i have no clue how old he is, all i know is that the people at the petshop told me he was a baby

namelessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #4 
coet

He's beautiful!

I have a tiny betta too, but he gobbles up Omega One Pellets like they're going to expire tomorrow. Berry stopped eating pellets for a while, so I kinda used Snowy to entice him to eat. Do you have any other bettas? Berry things he's the king of the house, so when he saw Snowy eating he HAD to get in on that food action (naturally right after I bought him a pack of frozen blood worms, haha).
coet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #5 
Sakura8

If he's super tiny, try crushing his pellets up into smaller pieces or soaking them in tank water so they are soft and he can take a bite out of them instead of having to swallow the pellet whole. Frozen bloodworms are fine for daily meals. The protein is good for them. I wouldn't feed them for every single meal, though. Variety is best. Actually, freeze-dried are okay for daily meals too but the pieces have to be really, really small since they'll expand. Most people here wouldn't feed their betta freeze-dried more than once a day.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #6 
Neil D

Actually most people recommend not to feed FD foods more than once a week. Frozen and live seem good. My guys eat TetraColors sinking granules. One of them took a but longer to get used to them, but now they bothe love em!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Have your folks seen your sig, Neil?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #8 
Tisia

soaking pellets in garlic juice may help. you could also try soaking them in treated water with a couple bloodworms in there since you know he likes that flavor, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #9 
Neil D

No.... My dad doesn't care, we joke all the time
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Suuure. And then he cuts off your internet.