Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
Dice Witch

Tim's got a really torn fin and possible rot?

My fish, Tim, recently started getting black edges to his fins. They didn't appear inflamed so I wasn't worried. He was very young when I got him and his fins have been growing like mad, but all new growth was starting as clear and then slowly gaining color. This is the first time color has appeared from the outer edge so I am beginning to worry about rot.

He'd begun to turn silver on his head and body for a day or so, but when I got up today he was back to his normal colors and actually flared for the mirror for the first (!!!) time. Then I turned my back for all of eight seconds and he somehow tore a chunk out of his tail fin. >_<!

He currently lives in a 6.5 gallon tank with a filter (muffled by a sponge to avoid too much water ripple), a heater (79 degrees F), a silk plant, a live plant, and some Terracotta pots for caves. I do 30% water changes every 6 days.

I have tried repeatedly to get a good picture of his fins right now, but he's randomly gotten some strange burst of energy and is running a circuit across the back of the tank and in circles around the filter intake and the heater. (Here's the little blur in turnaround: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/188f9fea.jpg ) So I think I'm stuck describing the fins best I can:

They have smooth edges and no visible loss, but have black coloration at the very end. They were not this black yesterday. The tear is near the top of his tail fin, a chunk about a quarter of an inch long that spans two of his spines.

I've heard of aquarium salt as a means to help with wounds and stop rot in early stages, but how do I properly use it? Do I just add it to his tank as is or do I need to move him into something else?
Dice Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

I would watch him for a day or two more and see if the black edges spread or if they start to look ragged. If they do, then you can put him in a quarantine container and add 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon to the container with daily water changes to clear up the rot. As far as the tear goes, as long as you keep the tank clean he shouldnt develop any fin rot =) He's a very pretty little guy, I love his coloring!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 
Dice Witch

He is the only fish in the tank (no mates), do I still need to quarantine him to treat him? I heard plants may suffer but it would be easier to put the plant in it's own tank for a bit.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
Silverfang

People often use quarantine tanks because they are smaller, and generally easier to "dose". You don't have to use a QT, however most people do not want to change 5+ gal of water daily. Also a smaller container can be floated in his normal tank to keep his temperature in normal, comfortable range.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #5 
Dice Witch

Since I don't mind doing the tank changes and cleaning often, I took out the moneywort in his tank and put it in it's own container, then added aquarium salt with the water change.

His energy level is still spiking though, so I'll assume that's a good sign! What I'm worried about right now is the state of his anal fin, which is a little frayed at the ends compared to yesterday.