Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 
shayabetta

Exclamation ut oh..

I have had my fish stitch for about 7 months! He has been so healthy and I take pretty good care of him I like to think, most people think its crazy i spend so much time and energy to care for my little man, but what can I say! I love him!
Anyways today, I came home and went straight to my tank just like I usually do, and I noticed his tummy is very bloated and on both of his eyes he has this white dot of film, its about the size of a handwritten period. I have no idea what any of this means, but im very concerned!Any thoughts on how i can fix this or what it might be? I have already added betta fix.. so any suggestions will be very appreciated!

<3 shaya
shayabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

well for starters, put him in a small qt container that you can float in your larger tank. if you have epsome salt, 1tsp per gallon.
whats your feeding scedule?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 
shayabetta

Okay! I feed him 3 pellets in the morning and i feed him two small freeze dried blood worms around 5 o clock..
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #4 
GunsABlazin

fill these out, it will help us understand his background.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #5 
shayabetta

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 81
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari freeze dried blood worms and top fin betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once in the morning with 3 pellets/ 2nd time around 5 oclock 2 small freeze dried blood worms

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once every week and a half
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? a rock of aquarium salt, and top fin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no=/ idk how..

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated, dots of film on both eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? today i added betta fix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, however, he does tail bite quite a bit(little stinker)
How old is your fish (approximately)? well I have had him aorund 7 months, im not sure how old he was when i purchased him=[

Last edited by shayabetta; 07-06-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #6 
bettafish15

You're only supposed to use aquarium salt for when your fish is actually sick, otherwise he builds up an immunity to it, and when you need it, it wont work!

Also, water changes should be on time every week, rather than every week and a half. The general rule is 25% once a week, but if you keep on your schedual of 1.5 weeks, I would do at least 50% then. Try to keep it on time every week to prevent bad things like this from happening :)

Just FYI, freeze-dried bloodworms cause bloating, so should only be fed once every few days, rather than every day. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Epsom doses are not the same as aquarium salt, you do not use 1tsp/gallon- use 2tsp/gallon for 3 days and then knock up to 3tsp/gallon for 7 more, if still bloated.

As said, dont use AQ salt like you do. Also, bump up the water changes considerably more, that is too low-especially since youve been overfeeding badly.

Feed him the tetra pellets much less. If theyre what I use (they dont make many kinds), theyre big. Even if not, feed max 3 a day, spread out. Too much at once isnt good.

Dont feed for at least 3 days- no food at all. Let his system rest.
Do a 100% water change (or a generally just large change if cycled). Put him into a floating QT, lights off, temp stable, keep him stress free and look for poop.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Some people do use 1 tsp of epsom per gallon for very mild cases. It all depends on the severity of the symptoms.

For a 5g tank, it should be one 25% and one 50% a week for a cycled tank. One 50% and one 100% for a noncycled tank.

The white film on his eye is cloudy eye, which is usually caused by poor water quality. Changing the water more often will reverse cloudy eye before it becomes the more serious popeye.

Use a small container like a small cup or bowl or Gladware for his QT container. As the others have said, epsom salt is the treatment. Since he sounds pretty serious, you'll want to do as Pew suggested and use 2 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. Mix it up with a gallon of dechlorinated water in a jug or something and let the salt dissolve. Use this to fill his QT container; save the rest for future water changes. While in his QT, you'll want to float him in his tank so he stays warm. Change the water every day and redo the salt treatment for five days. If he hasn't improved, up the dosage to 3 tsp per gallon and continue for another five days. If he is still seriously bloated, he may have a bacterial infection. Post back and we'll talk meds.

I hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated, film