Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Suddenly Swimbladder issues? Help, urgent.

Alright so, my fairly new DTPK boy, Zariel. I bought him a new tank, a 2.5 gallon from petco with a filter. I put him in it, clean water form the tap, regular water conditioner. I also bought some Nutrafin betta water conditioner with IAL extract in it. I give him a capfull (it said 1 capfull for 0.5 US gallons, and I'l be darned if it didn't want me to pour half the little bottle into his tank).

An hour or so ago I noticed that he was a little lethargic. I thught perhaps he was having issues with the filter-- he was avoiding the middle. So I baffled it. I noticed he was hiding in some floating plants I have-- and that he was remaining in a head-up tail-down position. Like totally so. He reacted to me, followed my finger around. I removed the plants. Without their support, if he's just staying still.... he rolls over. He's acting a bit lethargic. And now he can't even swim straight.

I put him in a QT with one inch of water and am floating it in his new home. I replaced some of the water with clean water with only Prime in it, and soon will be finishing switching it out. I'm really worried now though. 8C I've got aq salt but no espom, and no way to get any. (I'm broke, phone bill was today). Should I just keep him clean, fast, and in the QT cup? 8CCCC
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #2 
elijahfeathers

He's not breathing terribly fast, but he's starting to breathe harder with his gills as I'm watching. getting very worried.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 
elijahfeathers

So his water was kinda warm. The thermomiter I got in his tank was reading just under 80. I didn't think it was water quality related, really. So I grabbed a thermomiter from my main tank. Which felt cooler to me. The water tempt in the 2.5 gallon is 90. The thermomiter in the 2.5 gallon reads my 10 gallon as very cold.

*siiiiiiigh* why am I having so many issues with fish right now? It seems like every other thing doesn't work. 8C
Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 
GunsABlazin

yes, fast him and keep him in the QT cup. If you have Kosher pickling salt, that will work too. AQ salt wont do much for him, its for wounds.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote