What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82, maybe 83
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? inca snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? small amounts twice a day and fast saturdays and sundays. This week he will also be fasted on Monday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week, more if it's needed
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% sometimes a little over
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I just noticed that his tail fin looks shorter and there is one or two small holes in his other fins. No black around the holes. Pictures added below.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change. Happy, healthy (other than the holes and short fin) and eating normally.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just today, though I've been thinking his tail/fins had been looking a little ragged.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? None.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him a couple months. Bought him at Petsmart.
Attached Images

newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #2 
newbie32

If needed, I can post a before picture. He looks a paler red in these pictures than what he actually is. Must be my camera phone. Note the hole in the bottom picture. I believe there is a really small hole near it, but not visible in this picture. And there may be one on his tail. Also not visible. His fins didn't look too ragged when I first got him. They became more ragged looking after he had been here a little while. Maybe even a little clamped. I've been concerned about that. I got a new heater to get the water warmer. I had hoped that was the problem. Now I fear fin rot. Please help!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 
newbie32

anyone? he's an office fish, so if he needs to be taken home, i need to know today. :( i'm worried about him. and will my snail catch anything if it is fin rot and not just tail biting?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #4 
Silverfang

It's hard to make out from the pictures, kinda looks like a tear. For now do daily water changes, that will help keep him from developing fin rot.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 
newbie32

thanks for the reply! my only fear is that the ride home and the new environment might freak him out. won't stress make the situation worse? i can't take the whole 10 gal tank home. all i have is the small cup he came in. he would have to live in that until tuesday when i come back to work.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #6 
Silverfang

That might just stress him out. Do you have any glass vases or plastic tupperware? That might be about 1gal. You'd have to change his water daily, but that should be fine for a week.

Just a tip, if it's had soap used on it, lots of hot water, and a small bit of vinegar, rinsing thouroughly afterwards should get any soap residue out.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #7 
newbie32

I have some plastic dishes I could use. I also have vinegar. Should I use any ice cream salt with it or just doing the water changes?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I believe AQ salt is recommended, pre mix it in a one gallon container (if you have any) the recommended dosage is 1 tsp/gal. I'm not sure if ice cream salt is a suitable replacement, I remember OFL saying it was a suitable replacement, but can't remember if it's for aq or epsom salt.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #9 
newbie32

I came into work today and King Fishy II looks about the same. His fins aren't turning black around the edges and no more of his fins have been torn apart. I guess that's a good sign. I looked for the hole on his top fin (is that the dorsal?) and I can't seem to find it. He could be clamping a little. He's probably a little stressed because I put him in QT to do a water change. That might be why I can't seem to find the hole. Once his tank heats back up, I'm going to put him back in.

Can I just do regular water changes this week instead of the salt treatment or is the salt really necessary? I can't find a way to attach his cup in his tank very well. It always comes loose and drifts over to the filter and that equals disaster. Also, I can't put salt in the tank because of the snail. I don't want to make him worse or cause him to get sick by not doing the salt, but I also don't want to wreck havoc on him with a cup debacle.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #10 
newbie32

He seems more active today. Swimming around and occasionally laying on a leaf of a plant or on the gravel at the bottom of the tank. I'm guessing boredom really got to him. I keep my water clean and I check the ammonia levels pretty often. I will do another 50% water change this week, unless someone out there thinks I should do even more water changes.

To alleviate his boredom and stop the fin biting, do I have to rearrange his tank often? How often would one suggest? I'm going to go decor/plant shopping this weekend. I have been wanting live plants. This seems like a good reason to get some. If I make his tank moderately planted, or lightly planted and keep adding, will that stop the fin biting? Is there just not enough hiding spots? What is causing his boredom and what's the best way to prevent this from happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And thank you Silverfang for your contributions!