Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #11 
youlovegnats

I'd do more than a 50% change if they are going to be 2 weeks old... I'd do like...90%
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #12 
plad556

ok thanks and i will cam back and suck stuff off the bottom i be when i come back ( i am leaving Saturday and coming back the next Saturday) they will be so big. they have grown a lot in the short time they have been alive
plad556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Congrats on your spawn...look forward to seeing them grow....

I have always heard/read and even posted due to what I read- that you should never breed two double tails or you end up with deformed fry..it should be DTxST and/or DTxST with DT gene......I have not been able to find any scientific research to support this(anybody have a link)...not even sure where or when I read this to start...lol.....anyway....since I keep doubletails and HMDT.....
I did some experimenting myself.....(this is not scientific by any means).......but what I got in my DTxDT was about 90% DT offspring with 5% ST with maybe 5% spinal deformities that had to be culled and that is about what I normally cull to start more or less in the first week or so anyway with any of the spawns I do......But.. I cull hard with all my spawns to start.....

And then when I spawn siblings or mother/son-father/daughter...no change in regards to deformities %.......

I also have spawned DTxST without the DT gene and got about 5% DT fry without any deformed spine

What I have seen due to the shorter body to start in some of the DT offspring-about 1%..... I can see more buoyancy problems as they mature even with straight spines and these need to be culled as well...so When I pick my breeders I look for the longer body shape along with other qualities I am looking for to meet my goals.....

It can vary...I like the DT and use them a lot to get that awesome dorsal fin on all my offspring...I personally like the look of the mirrored anal and dorsal fin...I even like that short compact body to a degree but I have been working to get that a little longer for long term health reason on the Betta...I want that thick strong caudal peduncle area to hold that tail up and so that the fish can swim correctly and without struggling.....

Sometimes I think that some information is meant to warn you to make you aware of what you may or may not get in a spawn so you can make an informed decision....not that you should never do it and you may see this or that and lots of culling may be needed.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #14 
plad556

Thanks you for informing me
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #15 
plad556

My babies are looking really well. I am going to miss them i have been packing until i leave lets hope my mom will take good care of the babies
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #16 
plad556

well well. I came home to day and looked at my little fry they have gotten very big and i did a water change and about to feed them for the the night and i just looked at on fry he/she is one of the biggest and he has a Double tail so at least on of my fry is going to be a double tail can wait untill i can show pics of them.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #17 
NCPanthersgurl

Oooohhh I'm excited to see! :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #18 
youlovegnats

Yaaaayyy! :D Get pics!!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #19 
bettaloverforever16

Can't wait to see 'em :D
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #20 
Luimeril

pics! we demand them! <3 DTVTs sound AMAZING!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote