Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #1 
jacqui 70

gravel or sand

would sand be better for a betta fish or gravel just about to set up a new tank for my first ever betta fish any advice would be really appreciated
thanks alot jacqui
jacqui 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #2 
N03113

Substrate is really dependent on the look of your tank, other things in the tank (live plants, silk plants, a cave), and how easy is it to clean... size of the tank, cycled or not..

I have gravel - I like the multi colors and it's the happy bacteria gravel type. It's easy for me to clean.

I've heard sand is easy to clean, but I don't know much about sand or how different it is to clean vs gravel.

Co-worker uses those marble/gem things.

What size tank do you have?
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #3 
jacqui 70

going to be buying a 10 litre tank that will have live plants and a cave for him to hide in.
thanks jacqui
Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Make sure the plants you wish to buy will do OK in sand, if not then you will have to go with gravel. Sand can be easy to clean, but only in large tanks. You would have to remove and put the sand back in if you are doing 100% water changes, or at least I would think so anyways. I wouldn't put sand in anything smaller than a 10gal (20L), as when you clean it you need to hover a plastic gravel cleaner over the sand to pick up the debris. Usually with larger tanks you don't have to do 100% water change since they are filtered and there is enough water to allow you the time to clean floor space. For anything smaller than that, I would go with gravel. They have some nice natural colored gravel out there.

This is all experience from the Tropical side of fish keeping, where sand is widely used.

If you were going to use sand in a 2.5g (10L) then water changes are going to be messy as you'll be doing 100% changes. But if you do, use some air tube to siphon the debris off the top of the tank. Some people put straws at the end to give you something more stable to move around the tank.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-06-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 
TheBlueBettaFish

Gravel...but thats just me.
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #6 
jacqui 70

thanks i will go will a 20 litre tank and use gravel and make sure he as alot of hideing places .Plus do i need to buy any special food for him this will be my first betta fish so not to sure on what i will need. Any advice would really be appreciated .
thanks jacqui
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #7 
Amitisti

even in a 10g it is all dependent on what you like and how much cleaning you want to do. I have had gravel, stones, sand and bare bottom in various tanks over the years and for a betta...I prefer bare bottom.

you can get weighted silk plants that look very nice, toss in a hidey hole or 2 and a few glass stones or nice rocks and your tank will look beautiful AND be super easy to keep clean.

right now I have gravel in my 10 g and as soon as the pleco moves to the larger tank, it is all coming out. (or sooner if I get sick of cleaning it)

cleaning a bare bottom is easy with a turkey baster to suck out any poop daily and with a good filter I do 2-25% water changes/week and my ammonia stays at 0ppm

but that is just my two cents...and welcome to the wonderful experience of betta keeping Jacqui
Amitisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #8 
jacqui 70

so you dont need gravel or sand i thought you need 1 or another
thanks for that piece of information
Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #9 
N03113

it's all a matter of preference. You don't "need" gravel... bare bottom is fine. But it just depends on what you are putting in your tank. If you have live plants, some plants require to be planted fully in substrate like Amazon Swords. If you're using silk or fake plants, substrate doesn't matter other than aesthetics.

One thing about substrate is that it's a great place for good bacteria to live which helps balance the Nitrogen Cycle in your tank - if you're doing 100% water changes and not worried about a cycling, bare bottom is super easy.

Will you have a filter in the tank? Are there any other tank mates?

Food/Feeding information can be found http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

make sure you understand what and how much to feed your Betta.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote