Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

Ghosties!

So i finally convinced my dad to get some ghost shrimp for my little brother's 14gal...it has 2 mollies and a guppy and has been really messy...they wont lemme clean it (my dad doesnt take much of my advice) and they give the fish WAY too much food...so of course algae has been building up. I convinced him to get shrimp so they eat up the excess food! so today we went and got three...one being like three times the size of a normal one! Ive never seen one so huge! Anywho, here's to hoping they fix the tank up a little?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #2 
laughing

They're cute to watch, but don't help that much...

I have shrimp in my tank (lil hitchikers!) and had mollies in there, and it was a 10 gallon. Even with regular weekly water changes/vacuuming, OH MY GOD every time I do it all this poop, debris, dead plant matter, etc comes flying up like I left them for a month.

Mollies are very messy, and someone needs to start vacuuming that gravel out before it builds up and becomes toxic!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

unfortunately...im trying very hard to get the vaccuum...its a work in progress...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 
laughing

I have an extra, but it is for much smaller tanks ;(

Even if you just used a wooden spoon or SOMETHING to mix it up and get a lot of the crap outta there it'd help. There are forum members on here who experienced toxic build up of wastes/gas in ther aquariums and the out come is usually not very pretty...

They really need to get their heads on straight and realize how dangerous it can be especially for such messy fish!

(By the way, you will LOVE the ghosties.. I search high and low for mine every time I look at the tank because they're just so cute...!)
Old 07-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #5 
Rhapsodie

Awww, ghosties! They're so adorable. I had four (Hades, Phantom, Fluorescent, and Spectre), but I moved them to my parents' aquarium. They're so cute. :{D
Geez. Forget bioterrorism, just send some mollies to other countries! Kidding, kidding.
Rhapsodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #6 
HayrideHaunter

hahaha they are pretty cute...and i do stir stuff up as best i can when im allowed to change a bunch of water (that doesnt getto happen often enough either)...

my little bro named them Shrimpy wimpy, Shrimpymeister, and Shrimpy lol!!! he's 6 =3
Old 07-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 
laughing

So adorable!

I cannot figure out how many I have, and who is who, so they're just my shrimp. I don't even know if they're ghosties or what...

I love watching mine just LEAP up onto things, and the jump off. It's so freakin' CUTE!

And good, keep the stirring up! It'll help a lot!(:
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

heehee well we are hopefully gonna get an algae eater (not a pleco, tank is too small)..there are some algae munching fish that starts with an O...they only get to be a couple inches...2 or 3...so we are gonna get one of those

also im trying VERY hard to convince my dad to put some kind of additive in the water...he still hasnt =(((
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #9 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
heehee well we are hopefully gonna get an algae eater (not a pleco, tank is too small)..there are some algae munching fish that starts with an O...they only get to be a couple inches...2 or 3...so we are gonna get one of those

also im trying VERY hard to convince my dad to put some kind of additive in the water...he still hasnt =(((
Oto. And he doesn't add dechlorinator? o.O
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

yeah an Oto! (that has a really weird name right? oto is just short?)

and...no...he doesnt =(((...my dad has to take care of it while im at school...so he tries to keep it as low-maintenence as possible...including "letting the fish get used to minimal water changes and no additives"...theyre "used to it" now...so if we add anything it might shock them...idk what to do =P...im slowly convinceing him to get things here and there =)