Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Minibow 2.5 filter broken X_X

I've had this tank for more than a year and a half and I've never had any problems.... until now. The filter isn't working. I think it must be a wiring problem since nothing happens when i plug it in. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what filter did you get to replace it??
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

I really don't want to have to replace the whole tank because of the filter, but I will if i have to.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would look and see if you can get to the impeller to see if it needs to be cleaned...often that is the problem....I have had a long hair bind one and because I have really hard water the mineral deposits will bind them up too....I can tear the type of filters I have down but if you can't.... if you can get vinegar in the impeller area...sometimes that will break any calcium deposits up enough to get it working again...on one of my canister filter I have to use a chop stick to get the impeller working again...be sure and unplug it and work on it away from the aquarium itself.......and I am sure you know this already...but don't forget to prime it with water before you plug it back in....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-06-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

Thank you so much for the advice!!!! I'll take it apart tonight and get it cleaned out, hopefully it will start working again. I reallyyyyy hope it starts working because its going to be a real pain to find a replacement XP
Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Good luck....at least one good thing...Bettas don't need a filter...so if you can't find another if this one can't be fixed.........it only changes one of the needed twice weekly water changes on a 2.5gal tank to maintain water quality...that being......1-50% and 1-100% instead of twice weekly 50% with a filter.....or add some live plants....depending on the number and species.....live active growing plants are great water filters......
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

I was able to fix it!!!!!! You were right, something was stuck in the impeller. Not sure what it was, but its working fine now =D Thanks again for your help!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Your welcome and awesome.....
Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #8 
Thunderloon

Just adding an info-note.

The intake tube is also the impeller housing cover, it comes off the bottom and exposes the impeller and impeller well.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote