Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 
omyard

I think I messed up...

So the other day I bought 2 Umbra FishHotel Aquariums (http://amzn.to/q5vlCZ) so I could buy 2 bettas. No heater, no decorations, no filter. Just some blood worms, the fish, a net and water conditioner. I wanted to get some live plants, but held off cause I just wanted to get home and set everything up and wasn't sure what to get. Got everything set up the other day and I'm loving it, but then I found this helpful website.

Now I've been reading on here and I've already ordered 2 heaters and decided to upgrade my tank, but I can't get anything too big since these are going to be on the counter between my kitchen and living room in my apartment. I'll also switch to pellets and use blood worms as a treat.

Trying to keep price and size in mind I have these 3 tanks in mind:

Tetra Water Wonders Aquarium Cube (1.5 gallon) - http://bit.ly/mX8kMf
biOrb Aquarium Kits with Lights (4 gallon) - http://bit.ly/qOV9Wf
Marineland 3-Gallon Crescent Aquarium System (3 gallon) - http://bit.ly/p3QM9n
KollerCraft AQUARIUS AquaView 360 Aquarium Kit (3-Gallon) - http://amzn.to/oemg7s

Of these the biOrb is a bit out of the price range I want to spend now and I think a big bigger then I had room for. Are there any other tanks people might want to recommend for about the same size and price combo?

All seem to come with filters and the heaters are on their way from Amazon.

So with the addition of fresh plants, filtration system and larger living conditions what is going be the recommended amount of time between water changing? I figured each week would've been fine before, but after reading it sounds like that wasn't a good idea.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

I tried to read a bunch before I started asking and thought of replying to other threads, but since I'm all over the place I figured it'd be best to just make a new thread.

Last edited by omyard; 07-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.
omyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #2 
PiscisAmor

I only change Aliquis's water every week or so, but I don't have live plants. I also don't have a filter. You hafta find a balance between having a clean tank and non-traumatized fish. The change in water can be very shocking to them.

It's too bad that little fish hotel isn't big enough. It's really cool looking
PiscisAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Hello there, and welcome to the forum!!! It's so great that you've done your research and that you're getting new tanks for you little guys!!! Just so you know, you don't absolutely have to have live plants. Silk plants, or smooth plastic plants are fine. But live plants do help keep the tank clean!
-I've had the Tetra Water Wonders Cube, and its a pretty good first tank! In a tank that size, you'll have to change the water about 3-4 times a week if you use the filter. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the light wasn't removable, so it was kind of awkward when trying to clean it.
-The biorb's are pretty expensive, i wouldn't get one myself. I've heard that their filtration isn't that great. But you would probably only need to change the water once a week in that tank.
-That three gallons is really pretty!!! I've never had it myself, but I've seen other forum members mention that it doesn't have a lid, and bettas need a need since they tend to be jumpers. If you pick that one, you should probably do one 50% and one 100% water change every week.
If i can make a suggestion, I really like my Minibow 2.5 gallon. It has a very gentle filter, a bright light that will grow live plants if you want them, and plenty of space for one betta. It's also pretty cost effective. I change the water twice a week, one 50% and one 100%. Here's a link to it: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3611436

Good luck picking out your stuff!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #4 
PiscisAmor

I use a 1.5 gallon I got at Walmart, but most pet stores have it. It's pretty basic. Light, bubbler tube, lid. I love that it has a feeding hole on top. There's a couple pictures in the album on my profile. Great beginner's tank, easy to maintain, plenty of room for the little guys.

I would actually suggest buying tanks direct from a pet store. There's less chance of them breaking in transit to your house, and you can see for yourself what it's like.

I noticed in the four gallon orb tank the bubble tube ends in the middle of the tank, below the water line. If you end up with that one, make sure you put some sort of barrier on top so a curious fish doesn't end up in it. Because trust me, they will. None of the other ones seemed to have that problem. Just be careful. I've heard good things about the Aquaview 360 as well. I almost bought that one myself, but the one I ended up with was on clearance

Last edited by PiscisAmor; 07-06-2011 at 09:42 PM.
PiscisAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #5 
omyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Just so you know, you don't absolutely have to have live plants. Silk plants, or smooth plastic plants are fine. But live plants do help keep the tank clean!
Yeah, I just don't like the plastic look. I'd rather go real.

Thanks for the info on the tanks. I'll check out Minibow when I go to Petsmart tomorrow. I think I'll skip on the biOrb and the Tetra 1.5. Then it'll probably be a toss up between the Marineland Crescent and the Minibow depending on Petsmarts stock.

I think I'm also going to see if I can find these ones:

Top Fin Aquascene 5 Aquarium Kit (5 gallon) - http://bit.ly/pYXwoK
Eclipse Hexagon 5 Aquarium (5 gallon) - http://bit.ly/nJpGXh

These could have the same problem as the Tetra 1.5 with hood that isn't removable so I want to check them out first.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #6 
omyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscisAmor View Post
I only change Aliquis's water every week or so, but I don't have live plants. I also don't have a filter. You hafta find a balance between having a clean tank and non-traumatized fish. The change in water can be very shocking to them.

It's too bad that little fish hotel isn't big enough. It's really cool looking
Yeah, the tanks are really nice and they work pretty well. I have them stacked. When I got them I was told bettas won't jump so I wasn't worried about the lack of lid. Once I read I should have a heater and a filter was recommended I figured things would start to get cramped in there and I don't want my new fish to be cramped.

I'm sure I'll find a way to repurpose these so I can use them again for something else.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

You're welcome!!!!
I don't know anything about the Aquascene 5, but I've heard great things about the Eclipse Hex!!!! The hood on the Tetra 1.5 is removable, its just the gooseneck light that can't be removed. Whatever you pick out, I'm sure it will work great =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #8 
omyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
You're welcome!!!!
I don't know anything about the Aquascene 5, but I've heard great things about the Eclipse Hex!!!! The hood on the Tetra 1.5 is removable, its just the gooseneck light that can't be removed. Whatever you pick out, I'm sure it will work great =)
Ah, great! I was really digging the Eclipse Hex.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #9 
Oiseauii

Well I'm not very experienced so I can't say much about the other stuff, but I have the Marineland 3 gallon tank for my betta and I love it! The only thing is that the filter is a little clunky but other than that it's great so far. I'd recommend it. :)
Oiseauii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #10 
Tisia

I have the older version of the 5 gallon marineland crescent as well as the hex, and I like the crescent one so much better. they hold the same amount of water, but the crescent just seems to much bigger. plus the corners on the hex can mess with viewing at times.

a lot of people have said good things about these tanks as well.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote