Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #11 
cajunamy
Banned

there was/is a recall on those heaters. you might want to visit the marineland website for more info
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #12 
Luimeril

i had a Top Fin that boiled my guppies and my mom's tetras. :< i felt horrid, cause my gups were adopted gups.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
there was/is a recall on those heaters. you might want to visit the marineland website for more info
Only the 25w+ ones, not the stealths 10 and under.

These suckers are strong. They really are. My 5 gallon tanks are heated by them and they usually get to about 83'F in the spring and early fall.

In the summer, unless its really cool, I never keep my heater on. Instead, I focus on keeping the tank at a reasonable temp and keeping it stable.

My tank (through my mom neglecting my fish while i was on vacay :/) were at 90'F...heater on...
At night. after it cooled down 10'F at least.

I still stick by the 10w, but I dont recommend in anything under 3 gallons, I really dont-- unless youre somewhere cool. Theyre strong!

The lower in tank size you go, the harder it is to heat consistently.
Period, always :(
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #14 
flowerslegacy

I have to join in and also rant about the 10W Marinland! I got a brand new beautiful girl from Aquabid. She arrived yesterday. Woah, what a horrible experience, receiving a fish from the mail. The box was not labled as "Special Handling/Live Fish" so she was tossed around like a bad parcel. She was missing scales and dazed. Poor baby. So I already had a little 2.5 gal quarantine set up and ready for her: 10W heater (that ran for 24 hrs) and a betta log. Usually I set up my 2.5 gal's with an adjustable 50W, but I turn it down to 76. That creates a perfect 80 and then I use the same heater when I move them into their divided 10 gals. So anyway, I set her up, fed her a worm and left for the day so she could just relax. I checked on her periodically, to make sure she was okay, but I stayed back from her tank. When I came up close that evening to feed her, her temp was at 86 climbing to 88!!!!! I was SO MAD!! I pulled that thing out of there and immediately brought it back. I exchanged it for another Aqueon 50W, set it at 76 and put it in. It's been perfect ever since. The Petsmart lady told me they may have a recall, and based on what Cajunamy stated above, obviously they did!! Grrrrr!!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

No.

They have a recall on the large heaters because they were EXPLODING.

Please, before you freak out other members needlessly, learn what has been recalled and what has not.

The recall is for 25w and up because some have had faulty wiring and other issues. The fact that its getting too hot is because its in such a small tank.

Its not a recalled item.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #16 
bettafish15

I agree with Pew, not all of the heaters from that line were recalled.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

"Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986. "

http://www.marineland.com/update.aspx
Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #18 
Shimizoki

Sucks when life support is recalled.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #19 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
Sucks when life support is recalled.
Life support?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #20 
Shimizoki

the heaters that keep your fish alive during most of the year... when they act up it ends up being deadly.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote