Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #11 
GunsABlazin

as for the females. Doin the math, you can get 8 females in a 20 gal. i have 7 in mine, as well as 2 Coreys.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #12 
Super Fish

If the tank is cycled there shouldn't be any ammonia in the water. Beneficial bacteria lives on solid surfaces - gravel, decor, filters.

Congrats on the sorority! I just got mine set up and I'm totally in love with it. The girls are so much fun to watch! I can't wait for pics!
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #13 
SchBetta5123

WHOA! No cycle?
I know you were excited and all, but you always need to cycle. Fish-in cycles are not only need more water changes, but stress the fish out way more.

Good that you seeded the tank with rocks, but you will have a spike anyway.

LOVE sororities! I have one in my 55 right now. Only 6 though, and a couple of platies. So not really a sorority. But I still have Betta's together, so it counts IMO.

When the Platies bite the dust, I might add more females. I know that will start a new pecking order and agression, but I think my tank is planted enough. The swords will grow in until that happens.

Anyway, your Betta's sound stunning! My females are cute. All from petsmart. Got them when they were only kittens :3

Do not know how to post a pic, but here is a Flickr link if it will work. Only 3 in this pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurenandfish/5904648781/
Or copy and paste this
www.flickr.com/photos/laurenandfish/5904648781/

EDIT: They are full of eggs, that is why they are so fat :P
SchBetta5123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #14 
Rhapsodie

For all those of you commenting about cycling: Trust me, I know. I've been keeping fish for 9 years now; I'm not new at this. (sorry.. I just get defensive easily. I'll try not to snap..) For those of you worrying- I'm adding a water neutralizer to the tank just to be safe. Checked the water today and everything is looking fine for now.

Ahem! ANYWAY..

The gender-confused one is officially a female! I found an ovipositor on her today, so that's good. I'll probably add her next week.
Yes, all bettas are special, I know! Up until a few days ago, I had only kept VTs, actually. XDD

The three girls already in the tank are doing well. So far, I haven't seen any major disputes. I named them, too! The three in there are Asteria (the blue one), Solaris (the yellow-red one), and Phyre. The one in the other is still awaiting a name. I'm naming them after things to do with light, apparently. :P

And I think your 55gal counts as a sorority! Anything with more than one female counts in my mind. Though you should get more once those platies start dying off... *nudge, nudge*

EDIT: Long post is long, sorry! XD
Rhapsodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #15 
SchBetta5123

100% getting more when they go!
Mine are so fat because of all the eggs >:(
They have not re-absorbed them yet.
I am starting to wonder if they even re-absorb eggs -.-

I think veiltails are beautiful! Not the most 'exotic' Betta out there, but their tail is amazing. The one in my pic is a VT. Had a hard time snapping him today, that is why you only see his front half >.<
Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #16 
Rhapsodie

Hm... That's actually a good question. I've never thought about that. To google I go!! Hm... apparently they can, but most people haven't observed it. They can also expel them, apparently. Interesting!
I agree fully! One of my old VTs, Crystal, was gorgeous. He was really pale (almost albino-ish) all around, except his fins were streaked with blue and red. So pretty. And kinda patriotic now that I think of it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #17 
SchBetta5123

Sounds like my Cellophane.
If you switch out albion-ish with clear.
Petsmart purchase :P

Seems like the new place to get Betta's!
Popular since the new additions.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #18 
Rhapsodie

Yeah, I'm not surprised that everyone's going there with the dragons and HMs there.
What the-?! The girls have more stable water than Hydrus, Mr. I-have-a-cycle-tank-look-at-me! Weird... We'll see how long that lasts.
I'm a bit worried about Asteria. Out of the three, she's the least active and she doesn't seem to like eating. Thakfully her "spot" is right next to me, so I can watch her easily.
I'll try to get some pictures today/tonight if my camera cooperates with me! :D
Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #19 
SchBetta5123

Excited for pics!

Maybe the temp is not to her liking, they can be picky buggers at times.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #20 
TheBlueBettaFish

Get pics, Rap!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote