Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
Nymmers

Which Pair, Spawn Set-Up & A Couple Questions

Well. I think in the next 2 weeks I will be prepared to start my first spawn. I'm getting very excited, but having a hard time picking a pair. (of course after it is decided I will make a thread purely about the spawn)

So here are the options, ladies first!

I also have a Platinum White Female, Mustard Gas Female, 3 females from NIB as well. <33 I can post pictures of those if you think they might go along with one of the males below better.

The boys I'm considering currently.

He's the spawn sibling to the first female. I'm considering breeding to his spawn sibling or the Plat. White female I have.

Here's my Marble Copper/Red/Dragon male. Considering breeding to the black marble female or one of NIB's fry I have.

And my blue dragon with bf pattern, he has a few red spots though. Considering breeding him with my blue marble female, plat. white, or the black marble.

The Setup-
Ok. So I don't quite have my set up, ready yet, but I'm going to do the spawn in 30G tank, either section part of it off or float a Tupperware container inside until, then take female out, and after fry are free swimming, slowly release them into the bigger tank. The tank will be have a lot of floating plants, and I'm considering doing an outside spawn, your thoughts on this? And I'm also thinking of leaving the male in the spawn the entire time. (Of course if he seems to still have energy, isn't eating eggs, etc) Good or bad idea with first spawn or should I just see how it goes?

Food- I've ordered some Atison's Betta Starter for the fry. And there will be infurosia from the plants. I plan to order BBS or Microworm cultures, but which is more nutritious? I've read on different websites some is better, and vice versa, so what would you say?

Weeelll Just some last questions before I get all prepared, tell me what you guys think. Yay.. After the decision I shall post a separate thread including pictures of course. But I need to condition them before this goes down. =D
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #2 
mernincrazy8525

the first female has a bumpy topline and that might cause spinal deformities in the fry. i like the copper marble male and the black marble female soooo muchhhh!!!!!!!!
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

The first female is decent but her dorsal could be better. I'd prefer to see a picture where her fins were extended because I feel she's actually better than that picture males her look.

The second female looks very nice but I worry her anal is a bit long to be paired with any of those males.

The blue marble male is hands down the best. Second would be the blue dragon and third would be the copper. TBH I don't like the copper at all. I just think you could find a male with much better fins.

I also feel the copper is slightly roach-backed... not horribly so but I'd prefer to see a more subtle arch.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #4 
Nymmers

The first female looks a lot better in person, I wonder what she was doing in the picture to make her look bumpy her face is adorable. Haha.

I will post some updated pictures since their arrival, and of my 2 other females, as well as my Koi male I'm considering as well. Just need to pop some new batteries in when I get home.

Sin the copper/marble is my favorite <33

edit: Here's a thread with pictures of the males that I have & more of the ones posted up there, as well as the koi male, I'll still get some pictures of the females though. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72789

Last edited by Nymmers; 07-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 AM   #5 
copperarabian

I absolutely love this pair, They are soooo perfect for each other :D

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #6 
TheBlueBettaFish

Thats a terrific pair! ^.^
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #7 
Nymmers

He's popular. =D
Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #8 
Dragonlady

The blue marble male has the best finnage of the males, IMO. If paired with his female, they will probably produce some nicely patterned fish with about 25% doubletails. The female's outer caudal edges are nice, and I bet she looks awesome when flaring. Although she is slightly spoonheaded, I think you will get some very nice results from this pair. The copper female's outer caudal rays does not extend to the caudal edge, and the copper male has the same fault.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I can't see pictures of the females, but I agree that the blue dragon male has the best form. Pair him to a thick finned female and you should produce great fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote