Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #1 
Kestral

Not eating?

My Betta, Silver, won't eat.
He gets a pellet in his mouth, then spits it back out until it sinks. He does the same to most of the flakes...
And, he has pink patches on lots of places... I think It's just coloring, but I want to be sure.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75-76 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? There is a light in the lid.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Flakes in the morning, Betta Bio-Gold pellets at night
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once every two weeks... is that okay?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's been getting brighter and more colorful (more pink patches & blue fins) since I brought him home.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't eat like, at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know what to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for a few weeks.

Please help!
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
newbie32

First, you should probably change the water more often. Try 100% once a week and an extra 50% once a week. Also, if you have gravel, you should vaccuum the gravel (or stir and dip) with one of the water changes.

A heater is always recommended to keep the tank a nice even temperature. There are some really good ones for smaller tanks.

As far as colors go, they do sometimes change their colors. That's probably not something to worry about. If he goes pale, it's probably stress. If he develops red streaks, it could be something worse.

As for eating, he may just not like what you're feeding him. My betta, King Fishy II went through 3 types of pellets and flakes beforfe finding what he liked. You can try cutting the pellets smaller. Maybe they are too large for him to eat. You can also try soaking them in garlic juice to stimulate appetite. You may just have to try a new brand. I use Aqueon Betta Food. He loves them! I also feed him some bloodworms every now and again as a snack. Make sure to feed only a small amount. Bettas' stomachs are about the size of their eyes. Overfeeding causes its own problems. I also suggest fasting him at least one day a week, but it's not required. And remember to always remove any uneaten food or it can cause water quality issues!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #3 
Kestral

He is tiny... Im gonna try crushing pellets...
But, I'm sick so I cant go to the store anytime soon...
Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #4 
roadrunner

Your tank is small, so you should do water changes more often.

Is your betta new? Sometimes it takes time to get used to different food. Keep trying and if you think pellets are too big for him, crush them and give him one small piece at the time. I've been feeding my bettas with hikari microwafers. They are uniform, small and very easy for them to eat (+ they have high protein and vitamins). I also give them daphnia and blood worms treats. Variety food is good for them, especially daphnia. It helps them with digestion (works kinda like laxative for them and clean their digestive system so they won't get bloated)
And of course as it was mentioned in previous post, try to take un-eaten food out of your tank after few minutes.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #5 
TheBlueBettaFish

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie32 View Post
First, you should probably change the water more often. Try 100% once a week and an extra 50% once a week. Also, if you have gravel, you should vaccuum the gravel (or stir and dip) with one of the water changes.

A heater is always recommended to keep the tank a nice even temperature. There are some really good ones for smaller tanks.

As far as colors go, they do sometimes change their colors. That's probably not something to worry about. If he goes pale, it's probably stress. If he develops red streaks, it could be something worse.

As for eating, he may just not like what you're feeding him. My betta, King Fishy II went through 3 types of pellets and flakes beforfe finding what he liked. You can try cutting the pellets smaller. Maybe they are too large for him to eat. You can also try soaking them in garlic juice to stimulate appetite. You may just have to try a new brand. I use Aqueon Betta Food. He loves them! I also feed him some bloodworms every now and again as a snack. Make sure to feed only a small amount. Bettas' stomachs are about the size of their eyes. Overfeeding causes its own problems. I also suggest fasting him at least one day a week, but it's not required. And remember to always remove any uneaten food or it can cause water quality issues!

You never remove 100% of the water. The water (over time) builds "healthy bacteria" you Betta needs. Removing that (chaining water 100%) can cause illness or death.
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #6 
Kestral

I can't really tell if Silver eats his food or not...
I turned away to do something, and his food was gone.
I'll try crushing pellets.
I've only had him in this tank for a few days... he went into it last saturday.
So, I should clean 50% every Saturday?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #7 
TheBlueBettaFish

Yes only 50%
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #8 
roadrunner

I think 2.5 g tank is pretty small to have it properly cycled. Unless you have proper set up with plants (nano type set up). With 2.5 g you are ok with 100% water changes every two weeks and smaller changes in between.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

In a 2.5gal filtered tank-it needs twice weekly 50% water change to maintain water quality....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method...

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month

Due to the limited surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize in a small tank the nitrogen cycle is not stable and the reason twice weekly water changes are needed....

By adding live plants-depending on species and number as well as growth state...the live active growing plants can change water change needs.....

You have to find the balance-too many and/or too large volume water changes and you destroy not just the good bacteria but the bad bacteria....both are needed for a healthy ecosystem...the balance and this helps the Betta build a strong immune response.....but..... since this is a closed system...regular water changes are needed....

Its not uncommon for a new Betta to not eat when they are first introduced to a new environment...give him time and offer a good varied diet...small frequent meals are best....be sure and remove any uneaten food within 15-20 minutes....unless you have live plants or shrimp and/or snails......
If you have any live foods like mosquito larva to offer this will help to stimulate his hunting/feeding instinct.....frozen is the next best and you can try to bait him with his pellets by sticking them on a toothpick an moving it around to look like live food- sometimes this will help or use some fresh crushed garlic juice and rub the pellets on that...garlic can sometimes stimulate the appetite.....

Good luck and keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-07-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #10 
Kestral

I'm glad to say that when I crushed up the pellets, Silver ate them and didn't spit out any...
He ate like, all of it. I guess he just needs tiny amounts of food. :)
Thanks everyone, guess it was just a minor problem that got fixed easily. And I'm feeling better, too!
Poor Warrior. :( He still doesn't look good, but has improved since I brought him home. He was actually swimming a bit today, a great improvement!