Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Talking Question about how to set up my little boy's area in my new dorm room next month

Hi guys,

So I got to have a single room in the dorms next year and I have some questions about how I am going to set up my little boy's corner. I know that Bettas LOVE to fight other fish so I am wondering if it would tempt him if I bought one of those big fish posters and hung that up along with his coloring pages that I did for him to give him some friends. Do you guys have any advice? I want for him to have a happy area that is obviously fish themed and for him to have some fish friends beyond his coloring pages.

Also, I am planning to bring a book shelf and/or a side table where I am going to sit him on and store his food and supplies. Can you guys give me any advice on how to choose one out? I don't have a clue how much weight the furniture at home can hold so I am working with that stuff.

Thanks,
=D
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #2 
roadrunner

First of all - how big is your tank? Probably not very big, so you don't have to worry about weight too much. Try to find a spot that has natural light during the day, but avoid direct sunlight on the tank.
Bettas like to explore, so make sure he has lots of places to hide and explore in his tank. Pick only silk plants if you decide to go fake. Other plastic plants can be too sharp and your betta can rip his fins or otherwise hurt himself. Also be aware off of smaller openings in your decorations (castles, pots, etc.) so your betta won't get "stuck". Not sure how posters would work; I try to interact with my "boys" by just saying hi several times when I go by. They really like the attention.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #3 
bahamut285

The best way (in my opinion) to test if your furniture is ok is to slowly rest your own weight on it, and finally end up sitting on it. However as roadrunner said, if you're going into dorm, you probably can't have an enormous tank so you should be fine regardless of what furniture you bring. My desk at home is some really old desk from IKEA maybe 10 or more years old, and I've got two 5Gals safely on it, plus all my junk, computer, etc.

As for the posters, every betta is different. For example, Lelouch likes to flare at small things like pencils, my speaker near his tank, even his food sometimes. For MeiLin, you could wave a huge poster at her and she won't even care. So if your boy already doesn't mind your drawings of him, then it should be okay for you to put more pictures there!

I would also advise a quiet/low traffic area if your boy is the jumpy kind. I know my aunt's tetra tank goes berserk if somebody suddenly walks into the room, so she moved them away from her door.

What are his current living conditions? :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #4 
JeanLuc2

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice so quickly. He is currently housed in a decent 2 gallon bowl/tank--the one that has the colorful lights and bubbler. He has a soft plastic plant that he is in love with, the creepy pirate skull (the small one) that PetSmart sells, his Betta Log (which is his favorite thing on the planet), and his heater. I am planning to update his tank with some new toys and even maybe try the Legos thing that the thread entitled "Betta Toys" was talking about. I'll find the post and link it later. Currently he is living on a counter in the kitchen right next to where he can see everything in the kitchen/living room and he can watch my mom do the dishes & annoy him by piling them next to him.

Last year when he was in the dorm he lived on my desk along with all my school stuff. I felt so bad for him since I always have a lot of piles on my desk and he could barely see out and around. He did get a lot of visitors though. I am currently starting to save up to get him a nice big 10 gallon tank, and once I get used to the new tank I am planning to get him a friend with a divider of course.

He didn't really even notice his colorings since I put them high enough where I was sure he wouldn't try to "murder" them. He is extremely lovable but also stupid, crazy, and slightly suicidal. I think his being crazy may be in part because he doesn't have very much to play with in his bowl. I just want him to be really happy next year but also quite safe where-ever he ends up calling home in the new room.

Random question: Do little tiny dogs tend to try and get to fish?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #5 
JeanLuc2

Here's a quote of the post I was talking about in the thread entitled "Betta Toys."

"Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieLynn
would the legos be safe? those are good ideas lol i actually went searching my basement for any old toys of mine that would be safe for in the tank lol. I found some little balls that float. I have a really high strung new guy who i want to give some fun toys to to keep him busy

'I had legos with my betta once. They're just plastic, dont leach or nothing, just float a lot. Make sure you wash them with hot water, and not have any sharp points showing, not that there are really sharp points, but if you can make one, try not to :P'"

How do I quote other posts into threads other than the one they originated from?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I think you can mini quote, but Idk.

A 10 gallon tank weighs 100lbs with only water in it. With gravel, your filter, heater, lid and decor, thats at least another 20lbs. Keep the tank on your DESK and not a shelf or attached to the desk shelf that many dorms have.

You might be a little surprised (and not in a good way) how big a 10 gallon looks in your dorm-- my bf has a single and it literally takes up his entire desk. Unless youre considering getting a school of other fish (which, when you have to transport fish back and forth, isnt a great idea ><), consider getting not a 10 gallon, but maybe a 7-8 gallon, which typically come in different sizes other than long and rectangular.

I kep my two 5 gallon tanks in my room, which I like better-- having two rather than one large 10 enables me to put one 5 (approx 60-70lbs) on a desk-attached shelf as well as just on the desk and still be able to use the desk :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #7 
JeanLuc2

Thanks PewPew. I am still considering getting like one more fish but I don't want to try a whole school yet. What would you suggest I put JL on while he's in his 2 gallon bowl? I don't know how much that thing actually weighs with everything in it. Also, do you think that he would be affected badly by having some legos in a design in his tank?????
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

Probably not, no. And shove him on your desk, silly! A full 2-2.5 gallon tank weighs usually 30lbs when full and decorated, so it can go on an attached desk shelf if youd like (my 5's go up there :P)

For the legos, stick with ACTUAL legos! Theyre of better quality and are non-toxic, which some knock offs, you dont know for certain.

Soak them in warm (NOT HOT) water-- no warmer thatn 80'F (similar to your tank) with a mix of 2tsp of AQ salt (to help clean it off a little bit) and soak for about two+ days. Watch for leeching!

I put chiseled stone figurines in my tanks and did that, and it worked well!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #9 
JeanLuc2

Ok,

I will ditch the possiblity of putting JL on a bookshelf or a side-table of sorts. I probably just won't use my desk again (oh well) this year. I will figure something out with the arrangement of where he is going to be going. In any case he will be moving in the day after I move in that way his bowl can settle temperature wise.

All the Legos I have are the actual ones not the knock-offs. I will do the soaking of whatever I design. Should I soak the blocks and figurines in the water outside of the actual design or would it be ok to soak them in the design?

What exactly is leeching?

I am already planning to take a few pairs of hose with me when I go to the pet shop again since I'm going to look at the toys/decorations and can't see if I find anything cool and safe to add into his tank.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #10 
bahamut285

@JL: Leeching is usually in reference to the paint on something coming off and entering the water. So if your lego blocks are suddenly lighter coloured than usual, that means some of the paint escaped (leeched) into the water.

If you want two bettas with you, I would honestly just get a 5 gal and split it. You could either fit it on your dorm desk or get a fairly sturdy side-table.

That's what I would do. Again, sitting on your furniture is the best way to test up to a certain amount of water. I weigh less than 120lbs (*cries*) So I usually get one of my 170+lbs male friends to sit on my furniture to test it :P
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote